1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fooling a program into thinking the original CD is in the CD drive?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I just purchased a set of six training CDs that contain approximately 40 or so short lessons. The program installs a menu from CD number 1 and you have to swap CDs to run various lessons.

This is fine when I'm home; but, when I'm out with my laptop, it is inconvenient to have to carry six CDs and swap them for the various lessons. What is your favorite solution for this problem? I want to run all these from my laptop's hard disk without having to carry around and continuously swap CDs.

I've seen programs that will do this for a single CD or DVD but not for a multi-CD set.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Microsoft has an unsupported utility to do this called the VirtualCd Control Panel but most people I know use Daemon Tools, Circle Virtual Cd, or Alcohol 120%.

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for your suggestions. After trying all of them and finding them all awkward or incompatible with my wants, I decided to try another approach.

I examined all six CDs and found that no file name on any CD was dupliacted on any other CD. I then copied the entire contents of all CDs to a folder on the hard disk. I ran the installation from that folder and then ran the program only to find the program would not run from the hard disk. The menu program is designed recognize only CD/DVD drive letters and nothing else as a source.

I then burned the contents of the folder on the hard disk onto a DVD. Now, it runs fine from the DVD. I guess the next step is to use one of the programs you suggested above to create a virtual DVD on the hard disk.

That way, I won't even have to carry even a single disk. I'll let you know how that works.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Daemon tools is pretty much the defacto standard for doing this. I am not a gamer but many of my friends are. Most of them have a couple of game cd's mounted as virtual cd drives on their computers with Daemon tools. Not sure what issue you are having with it. I just use MS unsupported utility but only because I only need to have one virtual cd drive mounted at a time. I have never tried mounting more then one at a time with it. I will have to test it out.

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks again.

I tried the microsoft utility and saw it wasn't a graceful solution for a six-CD set. I decided I would look for a click-n-go solution that even my wife would understand. She isn't terribly technical minded. Alcohol is a pay program and I decided I would exhaust all free solutions before resorting to it. Circle Virtual Cd had no help file and after loading the program, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do next. (Upgrade the user, maybe?)

Daemon Tools is one I will have to admit I didn't try (yet). But I did find a graceful solution. I created an ISO image of the folder on the hard disk (mentioned above) and am now using the Microsoft thingy. It seems to work just great so far. I will present it to my wife in a while and see if she can follow a short set of instructions on how to start it up. If not, she can run it from the DVD I made from the hard disk folder. From there, it runs the same as from a CD except there is no changing of disks necessary as I condensed all six CDs to a single DVD.

Thanks again for the Microsoft product; I didn't know it existed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice