Football Manager Has Ran Out Of Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

McNavdo

ive had an Advent Roma 3000 for just over a month now and ive been playing Football Manager 2010 since day 1 but all of a sudden im getting alot of messages telling me that the game has crashed and that it has ran out of memory and needs to shut down, ive done some research and apparantly this will happen to everyone who plays the game so i was wondering what i can do to delay the innevitable?

incase you wanted to know these are the basic specs for the laptop

Operating System- Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor- Intel Pentium T4300
Memory- 4096MB DDR2 RAM
Hard Drive 500GB (396GB Remaining)
Graphics- Integrated Intel Mobile 4 Series

It's also HD but i dont think that is relevant. If you need to know anything else then just ask. Any help would be much appreciated cos this is starting to get annoying, thanks :)

32 or 64? What is your page file set at?

Did they give you any idea what the cause was?

What is "HD"?

McNavdo

32 or 64? What is your page file set at?

Did they give you any idea what the cause was?

What is "HD"?
its 32, i set the paging file to: Initial Size- 10000 MB, Maximum Size 410000 MB, I have a feeling that isnt right but im not sure what it should be set to to get the most out of it.

HD is just simply High Definition output but that wouldnt have an impact on the computers performance, would it?

No, the HD is not really relevant. I just didn't know if it was part of the model, something to do with multimedia, or what.

They usually recommend an initial page file size of 1.5 to 2.5 times the size of RAM. But since you can't use 4 GB's in a 32-bit system, and some programs go a bit crazy as a result of seeing the RAM but being unable to access it, you might be better off using 3 GB's if you have the sticks to do that. But that also may be another subject altogether.

Despite the recommendation for page file size, they also say that the maximum regardless of RAM size id 4096. So yours is actually the largest I have ever seen of heard tell of. That also may be part of the problem. Try setting it at 2048 minimum and 4096 maximum. Something, though maybe not the game, is bound to like that better.

Try the game and see if that changes anything. If you can reduce your installed RAM at the same time, I think that will increase your chances of success.

Did anyone mention what they thought the trouble with the game was? Someone probably said "memory leak" since they like saying the phrase so much.

McNavdo

No, the HD is not really relevant. I just didn't know if it was part of the model, something to do with multimedia, or what.

They usually recommend an initial page file size of 1.5 to 2.5 times the size of RAM. But since you can't use 4 GB's in a 32-bit system, and some programs go a bit crazy as a result of seeing the RAM but being unable to access it, you might be better off using 3 GB's if you have the sticks to do that. But that also may be another subject altogether.

Despite the recommendation for page file size, they also say that the maximum regardless of RAM size id 4096. So yours is actually the largest I have ever seen of heard tell of. That also may be part of the problem. Try setting it at 2048 minimum and 4096 maximum. Something, though maybe not the game, is bound to like that better.

Try the game and see if that changes anything. If you can reduce your installed RAM at the same time, I think that will increase your chances of success.

Did anyone mention what they thought the trouble with the game was? Someone probably said "memory leak" since they like saying the phrase so much.
from what i heard SIGames who make Football Manager claimed that it had something to do with the memory of the game, they say that when you play the game it saves information and matches that you play and eventually it fills up and it cant take anymore in so it crashes. there was a program that someone created a few years back that deleted these files so the game could run smoothly but for the last 2 versions the program wasnt made, I never had any problems playing Football Manager 2010 on my old laptop so i originally thought it was down to Windows 7 but i dont have trouble with other games. will change the paging sizes and let you know how that works out

OK. Thanks for the info. The company should issue a patch or something.

Good luck.

Did that machine come with 4 GB's installed?

McNavdo

OK. Thanks for the info. The company should issue a patch or something.

Good luck.

Did that machine come with 4 GB's installed?
the computer did come with 4GB

I played the game but i got a message telling me that it had encountered and error so it created a crash dump and closed the game although i dont have a clue what i am meant to do with a crash dump

McNavdo

i have also found out that alot of people are claiming that the game is shutting down once its usage has reached around 1.7GB so i need to find a way of reducing its usage

It should be in the C:\Windows\minidump folder. If you attach it to a post, we can analyze it for you to determine the details of the crash. And what driver is responsible.

Something not right about the dump. It is 0 bytes when extracted. As you can see, evcen in the rar wrapper, it is only 111 bytes and the rar program says that it is 0 bytes with a CRC of 0. I extracted with 3 different programs, just in case.

Does your original look like that, too?

McNavdo

Something not right about the dump. It is 0 bytes when extracted. As you can see, evcen in the rar wrapper, it is only 111 bytes and the rar program says that it is 0 bytes with a CRC of 0. I extracted with 3 different programs, just in case.

Does your original look like that, too?
the file is exactly the same size here, i thought it seemed a bit odd, what i will do is i will play the game again and hopeully get another crash dump

McNavdo

LOL. Hopes are funny things, aren't they? :D
extremely funny, and ironic, talking about ironic, the game wont crash. i managed to play it for a few hours without anything happening. i checked the usage and it didnt go any higher than 1.5GB when the crash is meant to happen at 1.7GB. I think it was because i deleted some things that werent needed in the game but if i get another crash then i will post the dump.

this is a bit off topic but last night when i was browsing the net i came across a program that claims to make your laptop battery last longer when charged. i didnt download it but i was wondering if it was even possible for a program to do that?

I suppose it's possible. But there are already a mound of power management things on a laptop, usually some added by their maker on top of what is there from MS and built in. I doubt that anything additional is going to make much difference. If you go to your advcanced power management settings, you'll be able to reduce your poiwer usage in many ways there, in a trade-off with convenience. And you may have other settings from the manufacturer.

So, I'd be wary. It may even conflict with what is there already. And you don't get something for nothing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online