1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

For Best Ports Connection...USB 2.0 PCI Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vzfox, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vzfox

vzfox Thread Starter

Model....SY-NEC-5U
    Serial....UW0702NC00900

I believe I am having the same issue with this card, and yes I bought it from Ebay at a bargain as well. It has the 5 USB port connections (1 internal, 4 external). I have installed it in the top PCI slot of my motherboard and I let Windows XP SP2 find the driver(s), which it did with no problems. In "device manager", the new card shows up and shows to be working properly with no conflicts.

Now the problem.......No matter what I plug into the new usb card, it doesnt recognize any of them (mouse, digital camera, printer, etc.) I get a small balloon at the bottom right corner that says "unknown device". If I plug any of these items back into my motherboard usb slots, it finds them correctly with no issues....but my motherboard usb slots are 1.1 which is why I bought this new card.

Any fixes or tech support for this problem?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I don't have problems with USB cards with NEC chipsets, as a rule. I did have one die on me once. I guess you've tried different PCI slots. I might also try removing all other PCI devices temporarily just to see if that makes a difference.

As for e-Bay, a USB card just seems too cheap an item to buy at auction, especially when you can never be as sure of the dealer's integrity and reliability as you would of, say, a company like NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=USB PCI&bop=And&Order=PRICE

3. vzfox

vzfox Thread Starter

I have tried other PCI slots as well.....and there is nothing else plugged into a PCI slot, all my other PCI slots are open/unused. I bought it on Ebay yes, but it was a "buy it now" price and came new in the box.

My pc/motherboard AND windows recognize the card and acknowledge it just fine for what it is......it's just the card itself that doesnt recognize anything I plug into it.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The only thing I know to suggest at this point would be a different brand with a different chipset. I would avoid Ali chipsets, though.

JohnWill is pretty good at this kind of thing. Maybe he'll happen along with a suggestion.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice