1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

For everyone who has Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Davey7549, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Recently it was discovered that the script blocking part of Norton antivirus stopped working after obtaining recent updates dated
    11-28-01 or 12-06-01. Another member Nix spent a great deal of time uncovering the problem and alerting Symantic to the file that was in question. If you have done recent updates downloading antivirus definitions you need to read the sister thread listed below, run the test on your system and then contact
    Symantic for the fix. The problem is with all systems using NAV with dates listed for definitions. I have four out of four systems with same problem.
    I suspect the new downloads dated today or later have the fix in them but may not correct the files already downloaded.
    Here is Nix's original thread.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=297801#post297801
    Dave

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Dave,Thanks for the information.Just ran the test and found 5 files under Scrauth.dat.Guess i'll be contacting them this week.:rolleyes:

3. barbcw

barbcw

I have read the posts on NAV's script-blocking problems that show up after the early December updates. I have 3 machines, each running a different version, that all seem to be having this problem. Live Update will not download any files, times out, I guess. (All subscriptions are up to date).
    Also, another problem. I cannot view all the Symantec web pages. symantec.com takes several minutes to download and then never completes. Graphics/pictures never finish too. All other websites seem to be working fine. This particular problem happened after the live update problems started.
    Anyone else having this happen?

Barb

4. hewee

hewee

I just installed Norton SystemWorks 2001
    I used Live update and updated everthing and after looking again to see if there are any def updates I get that I need this.
    "Updates for Norton AntiVirus 2001, including Script Blocking. Updates version to 7.07. (1)"

But it loads about 70% of the way and I then get a box that says this below and ask if I want it or if I want to cancel.
    I do not have the Windows Scripting Host installed on my PC because I know it is safer.

So there is no need for me to get this update right.

LiveUpdate for Norton AntiVirus 2001

This update includes ScriptBlocking technology for proactive detection of script based viruses. To use ScriptBlocking, the following software must be installed before updating Norton AntiVirus:
    · Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 (Internet Explorer 5.0 recommended)
    · Microsoft Windows Scripting Host (included in Internet Explorer 5.0)

For information on installing Windows Scripting Host, visit the Microsoft website.

If you would like this LiveUpdate to continue, click OK. If you do not want this LiveUpdate to be applied, click Cancel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!