1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

? for Mosaic1

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by padutch, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Mosaic1 or anyone else!!

First let me thank you for the help in getting PhotoSuite working for me. I did change the icons with a little luck.
    Now on to my questions. THis batch file thing is pretty neat. I can see that it has many ways to use it. So maybe you can give me some lessons or tips on what I want to do here.
    #1 My computer is working great now. So I guess that means that the registry is just about the way it ought to be.
    Ok, can a batch file be made to repair the registry? He is what I want to do. Copy my registry, then if I have problems have the batch file reinstall the registry I have copied. I realize that I would have to update it at times but I think this would be worth the time to do. If my daughter had problems on her PC and didn't tell me for 2 weeks going to DOS and doing a reg repair wouldn't do any good. But if I had a saved copy of a good registry and could run it through a batch file might this work??? Just a thought!

#2 Here is a little something that I got from another site. I used it and it works very well. At the end of the article the guy says he made a batch file to do this. How would I go about this. A few tips and maybe I can figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While working with changes to your system, you might want to see what is changing in your Registry.
    Since you can export it to a text file, the steps are fairly easy

Start Regedit
    With the very top level select - My Computer, on the Toolbar select Registry / Export Registry File
    I usually save it to the root of the C: drive with the name before (you don't need to add an extension)
    Make the change to your system
    Go back to Regedit
    Press F5 to update it
    Export the Registry like step 2
    Name the file after and have it go in the same directory
    Open up a DOS window
    Go to the directory where the two exported files are
    Enter FC before.reg after.reg > diff.txt
    Then you can edit diff.txt with your favorite text editor.
    Note: I do the last steps so often I have a simple batch file already set up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In advance I want to thank Mosaic1 and everyone on this site for all the great help they have given me. May you all have happy days.
    DUTCH

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Thanks. I use Registry Compare and it's great. I am not a batch expert. I know enough to get around and move a few things. I have saved my install a couple times using DOS.
    Here's what you wanted, I think to automate the reg compare.
    For all these batches you make, to get them to close automatically when finished, right click on the batch, choose properties, click the program tab and check the box marked close on exit.

Open your registry compare folder.
    Make two batch files. To make the batches in the Reg compare folder right click on am empty space and choose New Text file.
    Copy the bold into the new file
    Here's the first batch: rename as Step1.bat

regedit /e before.reg

Here's the second batch. rename as Step2.bat

start /w regedit /e after.reg
    start /w changes.bat
    start changes.txt

To do a registry compare:
    Open the reg compare folder and execute step1.bat
    Go and make whatever change you want to compare.
    Execute step2.bat
    This will perform the comparison and open the changes.txt file for you.

or you can start the process from another batch which will open the reg compare folder, then change to it and start step1.bat for you. You need the correcrt path to your registry compare folder to do this:

My Registry compare folder is on the dektop. Here's my regcomp.bat file

Start "C:\Windows\desktop\registry compare"
    cd "C:\Windows\desktop\registry compare"
    step1.bat

EDIT: You can make this shortcut in the reg compare folder too. When you chang it to close on exit, it will create a shortcut to itself. Drag and drop that shortcut to the desktop or QL bar. Now to start the process, double click on the shortcut.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can always run scanregw.exe and make a special compressed registry cab. Put that someplace safe. Then move it into sysbckup when you have a problem and scanreg /restore it. First, If you know the DOS commands, go into sysbckup and move all the other rbcabs someplace else to avoid confusion. Then copy this one into sysbckup.
    Do a scanreg /restore.
    Now you will have only the one rbcab in sysbckup. If the others were bad you may consider going to where you moved them and deleting those. I would't delete any until I was back in Windows. Otherwise you may be stuck with no Backups for the registry in the case that the old saved rbcab doesn't work.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

padutch,
    Start another thread about your icon changing and what's going on so either myself or someone else can try to help.

Post the details of what you are doing etc. You apply the patch? The icons are changed to the standard IE icons, but youwant to change them tosomething alse again? If so, we can change the patch to set a different default icon for each file type you are using. Let me know if this is correct or you mean something else.

Mo

4. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Hi Mo,
    Again I owe you a big thanks. As for the icon, I fixed it. I went into the patch and changed it to what I wanted.
    I haven't tried the batch file on the compare yet but will as soon as I have time.
    On the other matter I know I can always do a scanreg repair but it would be nice if a batch file could be made to replace the reg with the saved one. It seems that it could be done as the PhotoSuite batch restores part of the reg. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks Again
    DUTCH

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

padutch,
    I'm not sure it could be done. I am very conservative when it comes to the registry. I wouldn't try to write a batch and then not test it. I also would not play around with this. There are batches out there on the internet probably. I feel it's better to learn the commands. Look in the sysbackup and rename the files. Put the copy of the reg (in rbcab form)you want to restore into that folder. Run scanreg /restore and restore that rbcab. Reboot. See what's what and then decide what to do with the others.

Maybe someone else will come along and write you a batch. Me. I am a big chicken. I don't play around using batches to automate registry replacement.

EDIT: You might be able to write a batch file to rename all the rbcabs and then move the cab you want to use into sysbckup
    But you would still need to run scanreg /restore to replace the registry, I think.

I just don't think I would do it that way. I really like to see it for myself.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It can be done. If you want to replace the reg do it this way
    Make a backup in Windows. Go to sysbckup and then find that rbcab. Copy it to a safe place and name it rb002.cab

Let's say it is in D:\

To replace the current registry with this, here are step by step instructions.

Boot to the command prompt: Execute one command and then press enter. go to the next press enter etc

cd Windows\sysbckup
    ren rb002.cab rb002.old
    copy D:\rb002.cab
    scanreg /restore

When scanreg /restore appears, choose to restore the rb002.cab
    That will be the registry you had saved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice