1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

For the Love of God, I can't start my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kcconnected, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcconnected

kcconnected Thread Starter

Whenever I start my computer I recieve this error: Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in the module explorer.exe.

I went to the microsoft site and tried what they recommended, which was go to the c: prompt and type ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old, after I do this the vile computer says File not found - c:\explorer.exe. Then I tried from the c: prompt scanreg/restore. I tried to restore several different registries, but the end result is the same, no joy!

Can somebody please help me before my computer feels my wrath!

Sincerely, kcconnected

2. IMM

IMM

The file should be c:\windows\explorer.exe not c:\explorer.exe

For advice on extracting the file I'll want to know if you're running win95, win98FE, win98SE or winME.

Do you have one of those major brands which use streamlined cases? I think they do that so that they look graceful as they exit the window. Aerodynamics and all the extras! :D

3. kcconnected

I am running win98se. I have done what you suggested and I think I am making progress. Now it (vile computer) says that it had an error loading explorer.exe and I must reinstall windows. How can I do that in a painless manner?

Thank-you for your help

4. IMM

IMM

Painless - you gotta be kidding :) (actually overinstalls aren't that bad)

Can I assume you did it the following way?
    Boot in some fashion to DOS with CD support (perhaps using the install floppy)
    Put the windows CD in the cdrom drive then type the following lines to replace the file? (I'm assuming the CD was given the drive letter D: on the boot - watch for it - and if it's otherwise then substitute the proper drive letter for D: in the following)

d:
    cd D:\win98
    extract Win98_45.cab Explorer.exe /L c:\windows

Have you done a virus scan recently??

5. kcconnected

I booted up my computer with win 98 start up disk. I selected start with CD rom support. Then the "diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D". Then it gave me an A:\> I will type you a visual.

A:\> d:
    D:\> ext
    Please enter the path to the windows CAB files (a:) : cd d:\win98
    Please enter the names of the files to extract: Win98_45.cab Explorer.exe /L
    Please enter the path to extract to: C:\windows
    Is this OK? Y/n: Y
    ERRor: Location missing

I am obviously not "Tech"nically competent and I am obviously doing something wrong. I appreciate your patience. I will try to be a good student if you will tutor me.

Thanks

6. IMM

IMM

Sorry - I was gone for a while.
    You came close. You need to watch the boot to see what letter the CD gets - I'm guessing it's E:. The report about the diagnostic tools loading seems to mean that it's created a RAM drive with the letter D: and there is also a copy or extract.exe as part of the diagnostic tools as well as in the CD's win98 directory (folder).

So try it again (option 2 with CD support) and use the letter E: where I had D: before.

7. kcconnected

You are correct, it is now E. And I have extracted all of the files and I have rebooted my computer only to get the same message again. I am going to start over at the begining, unless you have another idea? This has been a very very bad day.

I have gone back to step 1. I am at the command prompt only and I have typed ren c:\windows\explorer.exe explorer.old
    and it says Duplicate file name or file in use. I have just entered the twilight zone. Help.:(

Kord

8. IMM

IMM

You are getting that message because there is a file called explorer.old (you made it earlier). There will be no problem deleting it
    del c:\windows\explorer.exe
    if you want.

In truth, at this point you no longer need to rename the file (you've done that once) - just do the extract and if it asks to overwrite - do so.

If that fails - one more thing to try before you reload windows - boot with that floppy (without CD support (option 3)) and type (from the A:> prompt)

sys C:

(there are lots of things I might do but I can't tell you to try w/o being there to see what happens - you'd also have to be knowledgeable and comfortable with DOS)

9. kcconnected

Would there be any problem if I just reloaded Windows? I really appreciate all your help. I have not had any consideralbe computer problems until now. It is blindly obvious that I need to learn more about them. Any advice on the matter? I will try what you suggested and thank-you again.

10. IMM

IMM

I always hate to do it - most people forget how much effort it was to get to the state they are in. :)
    One thing you shouold certainly do before you reload windows is to boot to dos (no cd is fine) and run

scandisk C:

Do you think the file was successfully replaced? (it's not bad advice from M$ - that when an app faults within itself the .exe may be corrupt)

Will this thing boot to SAFE mode? - if so SFC is the easier way to replace the file.

11. kcconnected

I have been battling for 10 hours and I am exhausted. I will give that a try before I reload windows. Tomorrow, after I have slept some. Thanks for all your help.:eek:

kcconnected,

signing off

12. IMM

IMM

It's how we all learn. Someday that 10 hrs may be 10 minutes :)
    (us older cheeky ba*tards who watched the technology grow up - and M$ not do so - can be a real pain - huh)

13. kcconnected

Not in the slightest, you my friend are a Godsend. I appreciate all your patients for those of us still soiling diapers in the high tech world. :D

14. IMM

IMM

One thing you might try is changing the line in c:\windows\system.ini (in the [boot] section) which reads
    shell=Explorer.exe
    to
    shell=WinFile.exe
    to get a win31 like effect and bypass explorer.exe while you are attempting to repair.

PS - if you can get the boot menu with Ctrl or F8 then from option 5 (Command prompt only) you can use DOS's edit.com (c:\windows\command \edit.com) which should be in the path and can be used to make the edit on system.ini.

15. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

KISS …
    BEFORE you go to all the trouble you’re expecting,
    ..try the simple approach first,
    ..go to: start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information, tools menu, internet explorer repair tool,
    ..here you get a choice of either removing ie, repairing ie, or if ie can’t be repaired, it will revert to your earlier installed ie version,

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice