1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

For WESTERN DIGITAL users.......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jumbo5, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

Model - WD essential 160gb.....THe blue WD icon which used to appear on the left handside of the drive name is also missing now.

1. When i "right-click - explore" or "double click" on the WD drive on my desktop i get this -

[​IMG]

2. When i autoplay, then i get this -

[​IMG]

I was able to browse the disk applying the 1st step itself, but now i have to autoplay everytime :huh:

Its been a week since i bought this drive.

Secondly,
    I have posted the query in ASK WD question section on www.westerndigital.com.
    for 1 day the status of my query was "unresolved", the next day it was solved, but i could not c the soulution, then i updated my question, then after 24 hrs again it showed 'solved', but i could not c it now also.I did not recieve any mail from them regarding the soulution.

I'm soooo irritated, they say the after sales service of WD is good, but their email service is worst!!! :mad:

I think they have set a timer that after 24 hrs all unresolved queries will show as solved just like that :S

heres how "MY WD ASK A QUESTION" looks, tell me where do u c the solution?!!!! -[/B]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am at a loss; what exactly is your question? Can you or can you not access the drive?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I'm with Crj as I don't see a hardware related question and that could be why WD is shutting down your thread. Am I right you access the drive my putting an icon on your desktop? And the problem is with that? I mean if you open My Computer, does the drive show and can you click on it there?

4. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

I can access the drive, copying files 'to' & 'from' is not a problem.But i cannot open the drive by double clicking or 'right-click-exploring'..i compulsory have to 'right-click-autoplay' the drive.
    Virus is not an isue cos i have registered quick-heal virus which is uptodate.

5. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

secondly, if WD has to shut my thread then at least it should give me a reason as to y is it shutting down by stating that ' V DONT FIND ANY SERIOUS ISSUE IN THIS QUERY' or something like that. How can it just display 'query solved' without sending me any reply.

6. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

That's an issue that WD would have to address.

And I don't necessarily see an issue here either. Is this drive an external drive? You might have to use the WD Software to access the drive if that is the case. Also did you try and put the drive in another computer to see if your problem persists?

7. mtbird

mtbird

Go to tools>folder options>view tab. Make sure that "show hidden files and folders" is ticked and that "hide protected operating system files" is UNchecked.

Open your drive once again. Do you have a autorun.inf file listed under k:\ ? If so, delete it.

8. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

this is an external usb 2.0 plug n play drive.

I know its not that a serious problem cos i can access it.But when u buy a brand new product and within a week if it shows a small error, u feel curious as to y this is happeneing?, wat if a major problem occurs after a month or so?? :(
    So when any gadget behaves in an abnormal manner, especially when it is brand new, it is a matter of concern.

I saw it on other computers also, same thing.
    to put it in simple words.

• I can c my drive.
    • I cannot c the WD icon on the left hand side of my drive name which i used to.
    • I can access my files.
    • Usually v double click or single click on an application to open or run, in this case i have to RIGHT-CLICK > AUTOPLAY in order to access drive.
    • No other option such as RIGHT-CLICK > EXPLORE or simple double click or single click works ?!!

That is all i can explain now.....if WD sends me a mail in future fine, or else v may as well just fuget it (n)

wat i'm irritated about is that WD should not ignore such issues, minor as they may call it.They should at least have the courtsey to respond in some manner. 'V DONT HAVE SOULUTION AS OF NOW'...or ...THIS WILL NOT HARM UR DRIVE IN ANY SERIOUS MANNER...

9. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

all that is done.

There is a hidden folder called autorun in which the WD icon is there.

Preview pic of the disk when i try 2 open it in .rar format -

[​IMG]

The system volume folder contains 3 registry folders[/QUOTE]

10. mtbird

mtbird

Move the autorun folder off that drive and onto your desktop for now. Delete the autorun.inf file. See if the drive opens normally now.

You may have to remove the drive with your safely remove hardware icon in the taskbar, then reboot the computer.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

That isn't a problem caused by the drive, that is a problem in your operating system.

12. jumbo5

jumbo5 Thread Starter

i think not, cos it behaves in the same manner on any OS

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's an icon in an operating system....the drive has nothing to do with that. It may have been put there by some software on the drive, but I always chuck that garbage anyway by formatting the drive. What you bought is a hard drive and what you do with it is storage.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!