1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Force Apps "Pinned to Taskbar" ("Quicklaunch" in WinXP) stay next to Start Button

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by joshjpang, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

Hi guys. I noticed that in Win7, the applications in the new Quick Launch move if you run one of the applications in the "Pinned to Taskbar" section. For example, if I have Windows Explorer and Firefox next to each other and I click to open Windows Explorer, the Firefox icon will slide far to the right so that it's after the Windows Explorer task in the taskbar.

Is there a way to keep the new quicklanuch icons in Win7 in the same place, like WinXP?

2. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

Anyone have any thoughts?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    joshjpang,
    On our Windows 7 machines the "Pinned" icons do not move. The new program icon is added to right end of the group.

Can you post POST a before and after screen shots?

5. Frank4d

I am at work so unable to post before & after pics until later. But what I did is remove all of the pinned icons first. Then follow the tutorial in the link I posted, and dragging the icons in the Quicklauch to the left so they are next to the Start orb.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Frank4D,
    We do not need screen shots of yours, but from joshjpang who has the problem.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd like to know from joshjpang how he has his system configured with respect to this issue. I just have the default Taskbar settings on my Windows 7 systems and there is no quick launch bar, and the pinned icons stay where I put them until and unless I move them. If I pin a new one, or launch a program not already pinned it goes to the right of what's already there.

8. Frank4d

Here's what my Quicklaunch looks like anyway, for reference:

Attached Files:

9. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    "the applications in the new Quick Launch "
    I would echo Terrynet's post. There is no quick launch bar in a basic Windows 7 installation. In fact, the whole taskbar is, effectively, doing the same job. On default the icons should stay where placed, unless manually moved.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!