1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Force driver compatibility in XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben999_, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben999_

Ben999_ Thread Starter

I just recently bought a USB to serial (RS232) port adapter as well as a USB to
    parallel (IEEE-1284) port adapter. I need them to connect a development
    microprocessor board and debugger module to my laptop for one of my current
    classes. The usb to serial adapter works great and does just what it is supposed to
    do, which is to create a virtual serial COM port through USB. The parallel port
    adapter however did not come with XP drivers, instead it relies on the native XP
    driver "usbprint.sys", which works only if you want to install a parallel port
    printer. I don't want to hook up a printer though, I just need it to create a
    virtual LPT port so that the debugger can communicate with the software.

The driver cd came with drivers for Win 98/ME, however. I have inspected the .inf
    files and I can tell for sure that they do what they are supposed to, by creating a
    virtual port, not just printer support. I have tried everything I could to get XP
    to use the 98 driver, but for some reason it won't let me update the driver to the
    older one. The .inf file's version signature says "$CHICAGO$" which means it should
    work on XP also, but windows tells me that it doesn't contain information about my
    hardware (which is total bs). The USB vendor ID and product ID matches the device,
    which is what really doesn't make sense as to why I would get that error.

So I what I need to know is if it is possible to disable the native xp driver
    "usbprint.sys" for the device, or more likely somehow force windows to install the
    98 drivers. I really just need to know how to get windows to properly identify the
    driver file as a proper match for the hardware.
    There are no other drivers for this
    device, I've looked everywhere, and all say that XP supports it out of the box. So I was
    hoping someone would be able to help. I can paste the inf files in here if it will help. Thanks

I'm running win xp pro on an HP dv2000t laptop with centrino duo cpu.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may be out of luck with that adapter. I find USB adapters for serial and parallel ports are far from universally compatible with some applications. You'd be better off with something like this EPP Parallel PCMCIA Cards.

3. Ben999_

Ben999_ Thread Starter

Well my laptop doesn't have a standard PCMCIA slot. It has like a mini version of it or something called an ExpressCard 54/34 Slot.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ugh! :)

I guess there's always the docking station for your laptop...

5. Ben999_

Ben999_ Thread Starter

Well I did find this but I don't think you can buy it anywhere. Either it just came out or it's only available in Russia because that company is Russian.

Anyway, I've got good news. I was just messing around with the driver some more and I was able to modify the INF file so that it would recognize the device! It was only a matter of typing a USB/ in front of the product and vendor ID. I figured out how to do it by using some driver developer software to generate an INF file that would recognize the device but not actually provide a driver. So I compared to the two files and saw that it was the only real difference between the two file structures. So now windows installs the driver and creates a virtual LPT port (LPT3). I have yet to test the cable with a device but I have very good reason to believe it will work.

For future reference I will paste the modified parppl.inf text here

6. DARTAGNAN

DARTAGNAN

Hi,
    I have also bought a USB to parallel converter to drive a set-up. Thank you, Ben, for your contribution.(y) I have done the modification on Parppl.inf and on the device manager, there is a virtual parallel port (LPT3).
    To drive my set-up I was using the function Out32 () from Inpout32.dll. One of the parameter that this function need is the address of the parallel port.
    Do you think that I can still use this function? If yes, I can do it, what is the address that I should use?:confused:
    Thanks!

7. Ben999_

Ben999_ Thread Starter

After messing around with the drivers and getting windows to report the adapter as a LPT port, it still does not function as an actual port would. I did some research and found out that the hardware on the adapters only emulates the functions of a parallel port for the print functions (of course they fail to mention this on any packaging). The chipset on the adapter will never fully emulate a parallel port. I found the information on this page - http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund um den PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en
    The guy that runs that site also sells an adapter that does actually emulate a a parallel port. There's info on there that may help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538451