1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Force program and supporting files to run in RAM

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tonyacardo, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I am trying to make a program run faster. I was wondering if there is a way to make it all run in RAM. Both the program and supporting files in RAM should speed it up. It has some large .txt files.

I noticed it slowed down when the .txt files I imported got so large. Prior to adding the info the program was sluggish, but still usable. Now it is really a pain in the rear.

Any ideas. and Thank you for your consideration.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 160124 MB, Free - 36459 MB; D: Total - 144255 MB, Free - 69326 MB; G: Total - 1430795 MB, Free - 1323000 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All programs run in RAM.

3. tonyacardo

I mean like a RAM Disk that then transfers everything back to the folder on a physical hard drive. I think it would go pretty well if I could get the whole directory into RAM.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well you could use a RAM disk, but you'd have to copy thing to and from it each and every time which would likely negate any gains from loading it or saving it back to the actual drive since I assume you want to keep the data its using/creating.

5. tonyacardo

Yes I definately want to keep it. Any other ideas?

Why don't programs automatically load the whole thing in RAM? Can't it just be pushed out when a user opens another software program? Maybe it wouldn't know which parts of each program to keep if the whole thing opened. There is a reason. Do you know what it is?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Programs do load what they need into RAM, the programs load into RAM and so does any data that needs to be manipulated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice