1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ford feature will let parents set limits for teens

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by TechGuy, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike

2. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

I do not have any kids yet and I am only 25 but I do like the idea. I know when i was younger I wasent the most carefullest driver out there. I do know that there was a car company that installed a camera so when the car took off suddenly, went around a corner to fast, stopped really quick or did any thing out of the ordinary. Then it would start to record and send that back via wifi to a remote monitor for the parents to see.

3. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Great idea!

In Canada, maximum speed limit is 100 km/h(63mph).
    I wonder if here the governor will be closer to the speed limit?
    80 mph is pretty fast for the inexperienced.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree, I think the limit for the car should be more like 65, which is more than fast enough for a novice driver. I also think they should limit the acceleration of the car to avoid the kids doing other stupid things.

5. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I thought it was funny that one 17 year-old "said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash." Ha! :p

6. PCcruncher

PCcruncher

Good one eh?
    That is assuming they would be going 80 in the first place. :D

I think it is a great idea, as it does not affect the car for other users. (y)

Keep it up Ford!
    (Ford is my favourite anyway) :p
    I hear the new '09-'10 Fords will have a new interior and the best seats on the market as well(y)

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

That is a valid point, for an experienced driver. I was always taught not to drive anything wide open as having acceleration is another option to get out of a spot. But first you need the experience to realize it and act on it.

Served me well twice. Once in a boat right in front of the Delawana Inn (I was 10-11 years old in a boat that would do 0-65mph in less than that many feet, fastest boat on the water at that time)* and once on Highway 401 in Toronto. I watched the accident in my rear view mirror as two cars collided in the spot I had just vacated. I knew I wanted no part of that sandwich.

*There are always exceptions. That would have been my 6th or 7th year driving boats. Times have changed.

8. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Even if I concede that a situation might arise in which accelerating over 80 MPH is the best course of action, I think that everyone would agree that most teenagers probably wouldn't react appropriately. Like seat belts, there might be rare circumstances in which it causes more harm than good, but the vast majority of the time it will save lives.

It's really nice to see an American car company being innovative. It sure gives me some hope!

9. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Im learning to drive, and this is the great new!

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I agree with you.
    Maybe I should have bolded this:

11. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

I think 65 is to slow. I live in Ohio and just east of me in PA the highway is 75Mph. typically with the 75mph speed limit i go 80-85. In Ohio the fastes i have seen is 70Mph on the highway.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While you routinely break the law, that doesn't make it a good idea.

I've driven at over 140 MPH in controlled conditions, but that doesn't make it safe to do on most highways. For a 16 year old with very little driving experience and judgment to do the same thing is foolhardy and very reckless. Things happen really fast at high speeds in automobiles. I own a car that has a top speed of 155 MPH now, that doesn't mean it's a good idea for me to do that on your local turnpike!

There's a reason that insurance for teenagers is astronomically priced, and it's not because they drive too slow, suffer from too much judgment, or too much driving experience. :D

13. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    The speed limit in PA is 65, not 75.

Some areas of lower population (and with flatter terrain, I suspect) have higher speed limits. This site lists the following states as allowing 75MPH in areas: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North & South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

Even so, it'd be nice to have the option for parents on the east coast to limit the speed to, say, 70 while those in the mid-west (and other listed states) can place the limit at 80.

14. BobsComputerSvc

BobsComputerSvc

THat was interesting i went to that website and it does say 65 for PA. but.... just east of the Ohio PA border on I-80 (the PA turnpike) the speed limit is 75mph:p. I drover over there this morning to check lol i wanted to be positive.

15. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

In some or most parts of California (if not everywhere), trucks with trailers or cars towing anything must drive 55 even though the limit might be 65 or 70. In AZ (at least on I-10E near the CA border), the limit is 75 for everyone, trucks included. What blows my mind is even though I consider 75 to be pretty fast I would frequently get lapped by big rigs blowing by at an estimated 85mph or more. :eek:

I don't have any kids but I like this feature. (y)

Now, when would anyone need to speed up to 80+mph to get out of a situation instead of slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road?

Peace...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice