1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Foreign characters.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Whiteskin, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Ok. As of late, i have been having to do more and more german work on my computer (My handwriting just isn't cutting it anymore). This was fine back in the darkages when i still had 98 installed, however, since i am here, i have since moved to Linux. there are two problems. First off, i can't seem to enter foreign characters without using a built in char-map (from abiword). (Eg, the old alt+0*** trick nolonger works. Second problem, is that since moving to UTF-8, aka unicode (better foreign character support), Aterm has been bugging me. It glitches out sometimes. Especially on manpage output. Let's say a dash prefixing an option is supposed to be there... instead i get somthing like *[]a/(being a sting of odd characters) then the option. It works in uxterm, so i'm assuming here that the problem lies in Aterm (Perhaps lacking in unicode support.).

Does Aterm (from source) have unicode support?

2. tsunam

tsunam

Unfortunately it doesnt look like you can Whiteskin if you compile from source with say -kanji it'll break european encoding (this part is just a warning that it might break it more then fix it ). so you might want to try from souce with a -utf-8 to see if that will work, worst it'll do is tell you that utf-8 is not a available option, or you just put in the .deb package again when everything comes across as Russian j/k

This has spawned a question of my own, though it'll be in its own thread.

So in otherwords I don't see that it does, but trying it won't hurt.

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Right... will try recompiling.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice