1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forgot BIOS Password

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Waats, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Waats

Waats Thread Starter

PROBLEM. I have PHOENIX Bios 4.04 on an old Compaq Presario 7170. I'm selling this computer but I have forgotten the password to get into it.

This is such an old computer, I don't know where to start.

This page > http://www.labmice.net/articles/BIOS_hack.htm doesn't help too much.

I don't know where or what the CMOS battery looks like.

None of the backdoors work.

Don't know how to short a CMOS Jumper.

PLEASE HELP!

2. AnyKey

AnyKey

A CMOS battery is about the size of a nickel and silver. You might have to slide it to get it to come out. It's like an oversized watch battery.

3. rugrat

rugrat

From the website you posted,

Using the Motherboard "Clear CMOS" Jumper or Dipswitch settings

Many motherboards feature a set of jumpers or dipswitches that will clear the CMOS and wipe all of the custom settings including BIOS passwords. The locations of these jumpers / dipswitches will vary depending on the motherboard manufacturer and ideally you should always refer to the motherboard or computer manufacturers documentation. If the documentation is unavailable, the jumpers/dipswitches can sometimes be found along the edge of the motherboard, next to the CMOS battery, or near the processor. Some manufacturers may label the jumper / dipswitch CLEAR - CLEAR CMOS - CLR - CLRPWD - PASSWD - PASSWORD - PWD. On laptop computers, the dipswitches are usually found under the keyboard or within a compartment at the bottom of the laptop.
    Please remember to unplug your PC and use a grounding strip before reaching into your PC and touching the motherboard. Once you locate and rest the jumper switches, turn the computer on and check if the password has been cleared. If it has, turn the computer off and return the jumpers or dipswitches to its original position.

Your jumper should be a series of 3 pins labeled JP201, by default, the plastic jumper cap is on pins 2 - 3, you need to move it to 1 - 2 to clear the cmos. See here for more info (this is a PDF file which requires Adobe Acrobat reader to read)

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/qrg/presario7100.pdf

Let us know

4. Waats

Waats Thread Starter

The jumper worked, thank you so much.

However I've run into a new problem. I'm trying to install windows 98 SE on the machine. I put the boot disk in and the Win98 CD in and I press enter when it says to start Setup.

Says its checking system reg. Then it says I have to create a MS-DOS partition to be able to install and it gives me a Z:\ --- FDISK will not work, gives me a bad command or file name. Do I have a bad bootdisk?

z:\ Fdisk > Bad Command
    I tried switching over to c: but it won't go, says the drive doesn't exist.

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Sounds like you've wiped out the "C" drive somehow. "Z" sounds like a ram-drive set up just for the installation. After you boot from the floppy can you get to the "A" drive ? Does it have the FDisk command anywhere on it ? I'd run FDisk, check the partition(s), and re-define or re-format as necessary. Be very careful that you do not delete a HIDDEN COMPAQ PARTITION - it's a proprietary thing and you DO NOT want to have to rebuild it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!