1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

forgot how to run dos program in 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bubbalouie, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbalouie

bubbalouie Thread Starter

Been so long since I had to do any thing in dos my mind has turned to mush, while I know this is the Windows 2000 forum thats where I'm trying to run this program and where I'm having my problem.

I copied a dos program from a 2000 machine where it is working just fine and pasted it (via network) to a second 2000 machine, the program runs just fine except when it gets to the main data file where most of the data resides, then I get the error message, " too many open files" , now I remember you can go in and change the setings to open more files in dos but for the life of me I can not remember how to do it in Windows 2000. Any body out there take pity on me and refresh my memory?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open the text file names CONFIG.NT in \WINNT\SYSTEM32, you can increase the number of files there on the FILES= line for the MS-DOS sessions.

3. bubbalouie

bubbalouie Thread Starter

thanks johnwill for the kick in the seat of the pants, I've become so used to windows based programs that when a DOS program rears its head everything I ever knew about DOS (and that wasn't a lot, I came into computers at the very end of the DOS era)goes flying right out. Another case closed, thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice