forgot how to run dos program in 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bubbalouie

Been so long since I had to do any thing in dos my mind has turned to mush, while I know this is the Windows 2000 forum thats where I'm trying to run this program and where I'm having my problem.

I copied a dos program from a 2000 machine where it is working just fine and pasted it (via network) to a second 2000 machine, the program runs just fine except when it gets to the main data file where most of the data resides, then I get the error message, " too many open files" , now I remember you can go in and change the setings to open more files in dos but for the life of me I can not remember how to do it in Windows 2000. Any body out there take pity on me and refresh my memory?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Open the text file names CONFIG.NT in \WINNT\SYSTEM32, you can increase the number of files there on the FILES= line for the MS-DOS sessions.

bubbalouie

thanks johnwill for the kick in the seat of the pants, I've become so used to windows based programs that when a DOS program rears its head everything I ever knew about DOS (and that wasn't a lot, I came into computers at the very end of the DOS era)goes flying right out. Another case closed, thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online