1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forgot/mispelled password.... how do i fix???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frenchyred, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frenchyred

frenchyred Thread Starter

HELP ME!
    I have WIN 2K, professional and i have mispelled my password and can no longer access my computer. username is "administrator".... can anyone help me? :confused:

2. tomsxp

tomsxp

Came across this tip, its up to you if you would see if it works for you too, about.com>>> Tip #115: Delete Admin Password

If you have ever lost your password to the built-in administrator account in Windows NT, then perhaps you know what a pain it was to reinstall NT and all the programs on the machine. WellÂ….. Worry no more because I have a simple solution for you. Just Boot up with DOS and delete the sam.exe and sam.log files from Winnt\system32\config in your hard drive, Now when you boot up in NT the password on your built-in administrator account will be blank (No password). This solution works only if your hard drive is FAT.

[Editor's note: Use with caution, and be sure you have a backup handy. There may be other ramifications from performing this tip.]

Tip submitted by: "Don M'mairur Good Luck Let us know how yu make out
    Let us know how you make out!

3. Dan O

Dan O

I don't recommend using the tip, as it will delete all user accounts, groups, and resources. Also I am not sure how you would reconnect any thing, because an user and password are turned into an unique SID, which is not recreatable. Your question has been asked before on this forum use the Search feature for other suggestions, as I am not sure which one is the best. Another option is a third party utility, again I am not sure which one is the best as I have used one.

Let us know what you do.

4. elsinaj

elsinaj

Do you have another user with admin rights or with account operator rights?

If so, logon as this user, go to the control panel|Users and passwords, choose the right user, click change password,

otherwise reboot your computer with a dos bootdisk with NTFSDOS. Now you can use a password cracking program to retrieve your lost password.

If you got the registered version of NTFSDOS, you can also use on of the options above to delete the sam files. But you really don't wanna do this unless there are no other options.

A.J.

5. frenchyred

frenchyred Thread Starter

thanks for the advice, i will try the dos-reboot disk and see what happens. i'll let ya know if it worked!
    frenchy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice