1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forgot Password for Modem Settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by c0mrade, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c0mrade

c0mrade Thread Starter

I forgot password for my modem settings. I changed the default 'admin' 'password' for security reasons but now I forgot it.

Without it I couldn't even change WEP Key to connect wireless. I'm using Compex WRL254G All in One Router/Modem. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guyz!

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

No way to retrieve it once you change it. I have a doc file on my main computer on;ly accesable from my admin accout that contains modem settings just in case.

You will need to do a factory reset of the modem.

Usually best to contact your ISP for specific instructions if you got the modem from them and let them walk you through it.
    You will need to contact them anyway to get your Userer ID and Password unless you have it writtedn down some where.

Most modems will have a wizard to walk you through the setup when you connect it and you will only need to enter your DSL Username and password

This usually works with CenturyLink (Qwest) and AT&T DSL
    Select autoconnect
    Enter User Name and password when prompted.
    Select Auto DHCP for WAN connection
    Selet auto DNS server selection

If you need to do a manual setup.

Select Connection Type PPPoE
    Enter DSL Username and password
    Select Obtain IP Address and DNS information Automatically
    Change MTU = 1500
    VPI = 0
    VCI = 32
    General information you need for a DSL connection.
    Type of connection
    DSL User Name
    DSL Password

Most telcos (AT&T, CenturyLink) are using autoconnect with auto DHCP and autoDNS.

3. c0mrade

c0mrade Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your advice. But the modem is not from the ISP. I bought it. The original one from the ISP is not wireless modem, that's why.

When I go to modem setting through typing 192.168.168.1, it asks the username and password. That's what I need to reset. They say the modem can be reset to default factory settings by pressing Reset button. But I really don't have a reset button in my modem. :(

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not a wireless modem. It's a wireless router/modem combo unit, right? There's a reset button somewhere. All routers have them. It's probably a tiny recessed hole you need to stick a paper clip in. The manual would provide the details.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

And to keep the mean ol' moderators happy. :)

7. c0mrade

c0mrade Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. It's indeed Router/Modem Combo. I checked out the manual of my modem long before I post here.. lol

But I called my ISP, what a magic! They RESET it for me. It's not their modem though... but they did it. Thanks zx10guy for leaving the F word. lol

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026412