1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Forgot Picture

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kolias, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

For my 5 months old Asus K750J (X750J) laptop I bought and installed a Samsung 850 PRO SSD 128GB to be my boot drive. The laptop came with a Samsung 750GB HDD with Windows 8.1 pre-installed on this drive and partitioned to C and D (please see attached picture for details)

The SSD came with cloning software so I clone the C:\ of my HDD to the SSD and all went fine. Now I have the option to boot to either drive but the best is the SSD due to speed.

Although all programs work fine regardless which drive I boot with, I discover that this is not really true. When I boot with the HDD the Windows update works and utilities from the web install with no problem however when I boot with the SSD, Windows update gives me Error 8024a000 and some utilities tells me there is a problem with the Windows installer and they stop the installation.

I would like to keep my HDD as is because it has the Windows 8.1 on it and that’s my only copy and I would also like to keep the SSD because of the fast boot time. All my programs and utilities are installed on the HDD except for Office student2013 and Access2010 which are installed on the SSD

I was thinking to clone on the SSD just the boot sector but I don’t know if it’s a good idea

It looks to me that the registry and other Windows files may be corrupt on the SSD but I don’t see how since everything else works fine.

Any ideas how to go about to fix this problem?

[​IMG]

2. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Sorry, here is the picture

Attached Files:

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    What's your question?
    Give details on what you are trying to do or solve.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Kolias I've merged your threads together.

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thank you Valis for merging my threads

The question is that my MS updates and installer do not work on the SSD but I just thought about it and having windows on SSD and HDD is not a good idea.

What is the best way to have Windows only on the SSD and remove Windows from the HDD but preserve the factory installed image? (please look at the picture to see the partitions involved)

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    "What is the best way to have Windows only on the SSD and remove Windows from the HDD but preserve the factory installed image? "

The only thing I can think of is as follows:
    1. Install your OS program into your SSD (Disconnect all HD in your computer to prevent accidental deletions before programing your computer).
    2. Once programming completed reconnect all HD in your computer.
    3. To preserve your factory settings in your HD check which letter is assigned to it (i.e. C).
    4. Click on start/right click my computer/select manage/select disk management
    5. On the other partition of your HD (i.e. D,E, etc) you can just format it and all data will be removed. (Backup any important documents you have before attempting this step).
    6. If you have more partitions in your HD that you don't need, then you can just delete the partitions.
    7. Restart computer (optional).

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks texasbullet, I,m working along these lines now

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice