1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

forgot xp account password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wade369, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wade369

wade369 Thread Starter

ok so i seem to have woken up this morning with amnesia lol,i cannot remember my admin account password to log into windows.... and i did not create a password disk.
    any tips on what i should do to reset the password even though i cant actually log into windows?

I've beeen think and thinking but i cannot remember it. lol

2. wade369

wade369 Thread Starter

sorry for the bump but i may have found my own solution,I am currently downloading ophcrack to see if it works.did some googling and only help i can find is try to remember which i cant or a cracking program,and if all else fails reformat. i hope not though...

ill let you all know how it works out.

3. npage2908

npage2908

go into safe mode it should give you the administrator account as long a that is not pasworded go into then into control panel and remove the password from your account................................but I think you might need to know the password this is what ms say

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

4. jdl

jdl

Ophcrack will show you ALL of the login passwords unless they are VERY STRONG.

5. racock

racock

6. cristian_vizu

cristian_vizu

is the password for the administrator account or is it for your personal account?
    if the password is for your account you can try this:
    enter in safe mode and go to user accounts and erase the password for your account.
    it should work [i don't recall having to know the password in order to delete it]

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Seen this posted several times for this problem.

The situation is that they can't log in, much less with an account that has admin rights.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ works very well to let you change local user account's passwords. They have a bootable floppy and CD you can use.

But the best way around it is prevention. Have a least two admin accounts.

8. Goku

Goku

Correction Bob Cerelli.We cannot have two Adminstrator accounts.However,we can have one account with Adminstrator privileges.Also,my given trick works for all cases,even with less privileged accounts.You just need to be logged in.But as you say,it is better to have two "Adminstrator" accounts rather than many guest/less privileged accounts.Good Luck.

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I do believe it is against TSG rules to help with unlocking passwords ....
    we can never be sure that it isnt a stolen computer

10. Goku

Goku

I know that but how can we trust it.I mean we are here for helping others and ourselves.We cannot bear someone being locked out of his own computer.It would be disrespect of TSG to let the problem go unsolved,simply due to a suspicion.If you still feel that it is wrong,then I am removing the post.Also,I will give you the links to the threads where I have posted the same trick.Contact the moderators to delete them too.I will make sure I will not violate them again....

11. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

There is a fine line here Goku and it is best left to a moderator to help ...
    so i always report posts where i am not certain ...
    We cannot tell whether it is a genuine case or illegal activity
    best to err on the side of caution

12. Goku

Goku

It is ok with me.Although,I do feel sad within for nothelping a person whom I could have helped easily.Maybe,I have to grow strong and let them learn on their own.Anyways,this is the link where I couldn't delete the message.The inactivity period had timed out.Anyways,give them the link and ask them to delete it:-

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/575231-forgot-computer-administrator-password.html

Anyways,I am sorry again for violating the rules.Thank you for correction.Good Luck.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Correction. You can have much more than one account with administrator privileges.

That's why I recommended having at least two. Then if one has problems for a variety of reasons, you have at least one more to rely one.

But again, the problem is that they can't log in.

14. Goku

Goku

No no,you got it completely wrong.I meant to say you couldn't have two Adminstrator accounts and not accounts with Adminstrator privileges.Hope you get it right.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's way better. Exactly. You can have more than one account with administrator rights. Again, that's why I previously recommended having at least two.

---

wade369,

So now back to the problem at hand. Since you can't log in, I would recommend using that software that lets you reset local user account's passwords. Hope this stays open and we hear back from you soon with any results.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice