1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

form letters

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dolly1234, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dolly1234

dolly1234 Thread Starter

I have Office XP so I'm assuming that this is Word 2003. I am not even sure where or how to pose this question. I send out a lot of lengthly letters to clients. I have a standard letter I use and then I delete paragraphs according to what is applicable to each client. Each of these paragraphs has a heading. Is there a way to make this process easier? Is this something that could be done with a macro? Is there any other other way to simplify this process? I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
    dolly1234

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Hello Dolly :D

Welcome aboard.
    If you get no better offer then I can do this in Excel - Word cooperation. In my minds eye, I see this:
    - There's an Excel workbook, which contains all the paragraph headings, as well as some other descriptive info, like full path of the word standard letter.
    - In the workbook there's also a form, which allows you to select/deselect paragraphs that are to be deleted from the letter.
    - At clicking on a button, the form shows up, you do the paragraph selection, then click on Submit.
    - The macro opens the standard letter template, finds and deletes the undesired parts, then saves the document under a new name (which also can be specified on the form, or given automatically).
    - It is also possible to set up an outlook message automatically, with the new letter attached, and all fields (e.g. recipient, subject, etc.) filled.

For me to do this, I will need the standard letter, and also a better insight into what and how you want to achive.
    We can stay in public, or, if those are sensitive data, you can contact me in private message.

Jimmy

3. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    What about an Access database that has a client type field. It will create reports and include certain text based upon what client type they are. These reports can then be exported into a Word document via a button. There should be no code needed to create this, just some Access macros.

PS Office XP has Word 2002 in it.

4. dolly1234

dolly1234 Thread Starter

thank you so much for responding. The information I have is sensitive so what I've done is attach a dummy letter, in the same format, and attached it here so you can see what the best approach is. Each heading that is either in capitals or underlined are the ones that need to be either added or deleted from the letter based on the situation.

Attached Files:

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am busy at work, but that should be able to be tracked and worked with via an Access database. Try OBP and see if he can help you get started.

6. dolly1234

dolly1234 Thread Starter

Thanks JimR 381, but what or who is OBP?

7. dolly1234

dolly1234 Thread Starter

it's okay, I figured it out. thx

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice