Form/Template help with Word

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ruefus

I'm creating a credit application template to be used by sales people. Part of this document will utilize a mail merge from an ACT! database to populate data, but some information will need to be entered manually.

My problem:

What I'd like to do is have the Tab key cycle through, stopping at each field requiring manual entry. ACT! calls these Tab Stops.

I'm not at all literate with Macros or using the VB Editor - the only way I've see so far to do this, but I'm not sure how to properly apply these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First Name
Anne
No can do, Ruefus. You'll need a fairly extensive amount of VBA to accomplish this task. Here's why:

1. If you mail merge a document with form fields, the form fields are wiped out.
2. If you have to add form fields to the document AFTER mail merge, that's some pretty hefty automation.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but you'd be better off to export the data from ACT to a CSV or something. Open the data in Excel. Answer the "questions" manually there, and THEN do the mail merge.

What I never understand about this request is why does some information need to be entered manually? I'd love to have the answer to that. :)

Ruefus

Hmmmm.....that stinks.

Regarding why some data needs to be entered manually, in this instance is relatively simple.

The ACT! database supports a limited number of user-defined fields. Not every instance will have these fields populated, and there aren't enough spare fields to bother.

There's a simple (if not elegant) solution here - I know it.

Is it possible to create tab stops at specific locations within the document - but not necessarily have a form field there?

Just thinkin'.......

First Name
Anne
No, I'd go with the export from ACT solution, Ruefus. I seriously would not bother attempting any other solution--especially depending upon how often...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online