format a flash drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sabledog

i have a crucial flash drive 128 mb 2.0 usb.. gizmo.. flash drive.. when formating a pc.. i left the flash drive in the pc and deleted the partion and format of the drive... can anybody help reformat this flash drive.. the pc which is xp finds the drive... but there is nothing on it and it will not download data.. when i try it ask me to insert drive...
thanks
sd

sabledog

this is a usb flash drive.. for data storage...not used for camera...

oh sorry. I just assumed it was for a camera. Use Windows administrative tools in the control panel, then open computer management in there under storage is disk management. Format it just like any other kind of hard drive.

sabledog

ive tried that.. it doesnt list the drive.... only drive it list is the c drive... below that it shows others like the cd rom, floppy.. ect. and it also show the flash drive... but i right click ..it doesnt give me the option to format...

sabledog

got it to work using computer management...thanks... i have another question.. the flash drive is 128mb... but on the properties is showing only 117 mb... do you have an answer for this... also, when i formated.. i used fat32 not fat... is that what i should have done..
thanks
sd

that's about right. Hard drives are never as big as stated. The loss of megabytes is because on disk cache. Nothing really you can do about it. FAT32 is fine.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It should show up closer to 122 real megabytes, perhaps something else is afoot there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online