1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format C: Only deleteing 10Gb not 80!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Loho33, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loho33

Loho33 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I previously had Windows XP and stuck with a problem trying to format.

Here is what I did so far.
    OK do the following:

1. Startup PC with Boot Floppy
    2. Type 'A:\>fdisk' You'll see this:

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.

IMPORTANT: If you enable large disk support and create any new drives on this disk, you will not be able to access the new drive(s) using other operating systems, including some versions of Windows 95 and Windows NT, as well as earlier versions of Windows and MS-DOS. In addition, disk utilities that were not designed explicitly for the FAT32 file system will not be able
    to work with this disk. If you need to access this disk with other operating systems or older disk utilities, do not enable large drive support.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)...........? [Y]

4. Press Enter, The following will appear:

FDISK Options

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Choose one of the following:

1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
    2. Set active partition
    3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
    4. Display partition information

Enter choice: [1]

5. Press Esc to exit FDISK

6. Press Enter to create DOS partition. The following screen will display

Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive

Choose one of the following:

1. Create Primary DOS Partition
    2. Create Extended DOS Partition
    3. Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition

Enter choice: [1]

Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

7. Press Enter, The following will display:

Create Primary DOS partition

Current fixed disk drive : 1

Verifying drive integrity, xx% complete.

Do you wish to use the maximum available size for a primary DOS partition
    and make the partition active (Y/N) ....................? [Y]

8. Press Enter. After creating an active partition reboot to the Startup Floppy and format the drive as follows

9. Type 'A:\> format c:'

I followed every step but when I typed format C: it's only formating 10GB but my HD is 80gb!

What did I do wrong?

2. wooying

wooying

Try looking in the BIOS first to see if your computer can handle 80 gig, it very well could be your motherboard that causing it to not see the whole 80 gig. Try flashing your BIOS first and see if you have any luck. Good Luck

3. abbyk

abbyk

delete all partitions 1st

then create a primary partition - full size if u like.

Can do this from the xp disk on setup - easier than dos boot.

when pc boots, can bios see the full size of the drive ? Press pause/break to freeze the screen - any key to continue boot.

Dont think its the 32GB limit wooying, or else bios doesnt see the disk at all - afaik.

Post back with results soon Loho33 & i'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it ;)

abbyk

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If you are still using XP forget about trying to use 98's fdisk as was posted. Let XP handle things. You might also check your HD maker's site for their HD utilities. Most have setup programs available.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice