1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format command

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by davidgraham16, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Hi
    I have picked up various bits of knowledge from the internet on formatting prior to a clean install. I even successfully implemented the advice. However, I would like someone to further explain some of the tricks I used:

1. I used the command A:\>Format C /s and not just A:\>Format C
    Can anyone tell me why I did this? whats the purpose of the /s?

2. I was supposed to use FDISK - before the format (I think?)
    However, this only produced a message "the disc is already partitioned" so I ignored this bit and everything was OK. Why did I get advice about FDISK, I didn't seem to need it?

thanks for any replies
    David

2. ETS

ETS

The /s after the format will cause the system files to automatically install to your hard drive immediately after the format is complete and make it bootable.

All hard drives must be partitioned prior to being formatted. The FDISK command is used to do that. Your's is already partitioned so you can skip that and go ahead and reformat if you like. However, If you don't know what version of FDISK was used to partition the drive previously, it's safer to redo it.

3. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Why is it safer to know which version of FDISK has been used?
    Also, in general, can I assume that a PC which has been running windows has definitly been partitioned in the past or do some machines run windows without a partitioning of the hard disc. I thought partitioning was done to create a virtual drive on the C drive.
    Thanks for the previous reply.
    David

4. deanas

deanas

fdisk is what puts the fat ( file allocation table)
    on the partition. In other words it slices the
    partition into little sections which are used
    to put your files on. If you originally had
    win98, the partitions should be fat 32 which
    is what you want. If it originally had win95
    it could be fat 16 or 32. If it was 16 then it
    would pay to fdisk with large disk option.

5. ETS

ETS

All hard drives must be partitioned before you can format and run any Operating system such as Windows. So you can be sure that if Windows is running then the drive has been partitioned. If you have just one drive letter on it ( e.g. C: ) it is still a partition, all be it a single one.

It is safer to know which version of FDISK was used because not all versions will be fully compatible with your operating system and could cause problems. It's always best to use the version that comes with the operating system you plan to install.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice