1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

format errors using incd with cdrw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davephil, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I just purchased a verbatim 48x12x48 cdrw drive. I loaded the software that came with the drive, nero express 5.5.9.15, and incd 3.39. I have already been successful burning a cdr using nero express (the one CdR that came with the drive). Using memorex cdrw's (12x), incd gives me an error when I try to format ( need to format because i am using them as data backups). I first got the error 8-9 minutes into the format (005a-0005-0024-0000, illegal request... insert new disc). I unstalled nero and incd, updated aspi using forceaspi (now at 4.6), then re-installed nero and incd. Now when I format, after 2-3 minutes, receive error (0051-0003-0000-0000, disc error occurred, pls reboot). Running windows 98se, no errors in device mgr. Thanks!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

davephil
    You may want to consider downloading and installing the latest update for InCD Here
    The latest and greatest is version 3.51.91

See if that resolves the problems.

Dave

PS: Currently Nero's site is having problems.

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, it's better, but something's still wrong. I downloaded and installed the update/rebooted.....
    I inserted the cdrw, up popped the incd screen stating that the disk type is cdrw, and the status is "blank disk".
    hit next a couple of times, then finish.
    got "formatting in progress" bar.
    Got as far as 98% (took 39min), then stopped. I waited 10 more minutes, and it was still at 98%. So I ctl-alt-del and "end task".
    no errors though. It also seems to me that 40 min. is too long to format a disk. I'm running an amd k6-II 450 with 192 ram.
    Any suggestions?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I mainly use Roxio software, but the same stuff should apply to Nero. One, close all other applications, do an alt-ctrl-delete and close down any applications running, two make sure a screen saver or power management doesn't try to kick in while formating the cd's, and finally try another brand of cd-rw. I have only had luck with the Memorex Platinum CD-RW, but I rarely ever had any success with the regular cd-rw's. You can also try another software package even if its just to test.

5. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

well, here goes...
    first, I couldn't eject the cdrw from the drive. the eject button wasn't working.. I had to re-boot to get the cdrw out.

At this point, I noticed that the drive is pretty hot (I don't have the pc case on yet), on the top (about 1in. back the front) of the drive it was almost too hot to touch--is this normal??

also, I wanted to test the memorex cdrw's by burning one song into an audio CD (same as I did before with the cdr)...
    as soon as I put a cdrw in, got a message "waiting for medium, please insert an empty medium to write to". I know I was putting in a blank medium--just took the shrinkwrap off.

finally, I removed the nero and incd software.
    Now, I can't access the cd drive. when I put in any cd (ie--application software cd), it doesn't load automatically--when I go into explorer and click the "d" drive when a cd is in the drive, I get "not accessible, device not ready".
    So I went into device manager, removed the cdrom driver, re-booted pc.. it re-loaded device driver, but I still can't access cdrom. Obviously, can't try another software cd burner pgm until I get this problem solved.
    All the cables are firmly attached to the drive; drive has power, lights go on. Could the drive be fryed??
    Thanks.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

davephil
    First the Format time could be rather long depending on the speed of the CDRW Disk. Also for instance I have found that my Memorex 48x12x48 is very fussy about about make of CDRW disks. I also use Nero and InCD with no problems but it does take about 20 minutes to format a disk for Packet writing.

As far a heat.... Yes the Laser does tend to get a bit warm if it is constantly on for awhile but what your describing seems a bit excessive.

Could be wrong but You may just have a defective unit.

Dave

7. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. It seems to me that the only way I can get "device not ready, not accessable" (assuming software/driver is not the problem) is a defective unit. Does that make sense?

Also, what brand media do you use? Can I use 12x cdrw media? I've noticed that everyone seems to be using 10x cdrw.

It seems that if I'm using 12x media, it shouldn't take 40 minutes to format a disk; do you agree?

Thanks alot.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

davephil
    I have used TDK Black, Memorex, and Maxell Pro with success. Drives will be different so one must find which works best. Being a verbatim one would assume verbatim disks sould be fine.

As far as Write speeds they do play a factor in whether they will work properly. There is different dyes used in different disks which all affect the outcome.

As far as time to format completion..... yes 40 minutes is excessive.

Is your unit defective? Personally I wouldn't chance that it is good at this point since you can return it and get another. Most newly installed units do not exhibit this type of problems.

Dave

9. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Many thanks for your quick replies. Will go out tomorrow or Monday and replace the drive. Then will try it again.

10. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

getting closer, but...
    I just replaced the cdrw drive with a new verbatin 48x12x48. I re-installed software that came on the CD, then ran the incd update.

(FYI--the cdrw 12x discs I used with the "defective" unit don't seem to work anymore--when I put one of them in, the incd software doesn't recognize them as "blank"--cannot format them. Could the drive have damaged the disks?)

I put in a BLANK disc, after about 8 minutes into format, finished "formatting bar", started "scan rw disc, and register all defective sectors..logically formatting".. after about 4 minutes into this procedure, got the same error I orig. got. "005a-0005-0024-0000, illegal request... insert new disc". Obviously, the 1st drive was defective, but now what??

Thanks!

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Davephil
    Here is an interesting thread I found in CDRinfo forum. Seems the type of media used with Roxio or Nero can cause this.
    Have a look through it and see what your thoughts are.
    Click Here for CDR forum thread.

Dave

12. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Thanks. read the thread. seems I have 2 ways to go. I'm 1st going to try download some other utility to format the disks. I only need to format 10 disks or so for backup use (drag/drop,etc.), then I probably wouldn't need the incd software for quite a while, anyhow.

Do you know of any free utility I can download that can format a cdrw? I checked download.com and zdnet, but everything seems to gear toward burning audio files onto cdrw, not formating.

I'll dowload the utility and see if it can format the disks I have. If it can't, I'll replace the disks with Imation or such.
    Thanks.

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

davephil
    No I do not know of any other formatting utility maybe someone else does and will share that with us.

Dave

14. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Tried more media, memorex cdrw,4x.. and imation cdrw 4x..neither one worked. I updated the ide controller hardware (via chipset), still no go. I downloaded software "gearPro" on a 30day trial--received same errors

Tried to get in touch with Verbatim Tech Support--WORTHLESS. After only 2 minutes on hold, you have to leave message and rely on them calling you back--yeah right!.

Talked to another salesrep over at OfficeMax where I purchased the drive; he says that "quite a few" of these drives are coming back defective and that other people are having problems (but did not elaborate). He also said that many people are having problems with the Memorex media--no matter what drive they bought.

So I am returning the drive; waiting until they have a Cendyne48x12x48 on sale. I have read that this drive will work with practically any brand of media; anyone have any experience with Cendyne cdrw drives?

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

Davephil
    Sorry we we unable to get the unit up and running but you certianly went beyond what most people would have done to attempt to get it to work. Seems the unit itself is the cause if the salesperson is straight with you. You may want to start a new review thread explaining what you experienced, what you did to attempt to correct it and what was said to you about the unit. If any good comes out of this maybe others will not purchase the make and model and have same experience.

Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice