1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Hard drive on Toshiba730CDT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sfsd104, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sfsd104

sfsd104 Thread Starter

I purchase a used Toshiba 730CDT LapTop that has two operating systems on it. **Windows 98SE & 2000**
    The computer did not come with manuals -- I want to reformat the Hard Drive - installing 98SE only - how do I format to a clean Hard drive?

2. thatcoolguy

thatcoolguy

Seems like forever since I've used win98... but as memory serves, what I would do is create a boot floppy. You'll want to go to the control panel, add remove programs, now click the middle tab on top. From there you should see a menu allowing you to create a boot disk.
    Then re-boot the computer with the disk in and it should boot to a dos prompt.
    Here's a good example of what you'll be looking for http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk5.htm . Delete all your partitions and maybe even format the MBR (master boot record) "fdisk /mbr".

3. ShadedNine

ShadedNine

You should be able to boot right off your Win98 CD. Try that, and make sure your BIOS boot order is set to boot CDs before your Hard Drive if it doesn't offer you a choice of both on startup. From the windows setup there should be an option to delete the partition and format the drive.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boot from an MS-DOS floppy and use FDISK to hack the partitions. If that fails, download a disk diagnostic from Maxtor, WD, or Seagate, and write zeros to the drive first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice