1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mfrashuer, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfrashuer

mfrashuer Thread Starter

How does one force the WinXP cd to read upon booting up. I have changed in the bios, CD-ROM, Hard drive, then floppy. It bypasses the cd and goes straight for the desktop. even if I don't set it to the hard drive it still goes to the desktop. I don't get it.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

is this a version of XP that you bought, or did it come with the computer your using?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you have the BIOS set to first boot from cd, when you start up you will get a black screen with the prompt "Strike any key to boot from CD" . . it will not be there very long so have a finger on the keyboard when you turn it on.

After that you will have the chance to delete partitions and recreate as you want. Xp will then format the partition you choose to install on and proceed to the installation.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the installation.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Have fun . . wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238086