1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rutter, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rutter

Rutter Thread Starter

Listen can anyone help me, whilest i was on holiday my parents thought it would be very useful of them to upgrade my OS to XP :mad: I hate it and want to go back, anyone got any ideas how to, cause when i go to the Add/Romove programmes panel XP does not come up. Help!

2. Dan O

Dan O

It will only be there if you upgraded from 98 or ME. What OS did you have previously and what option did you select when you installed XP?

Why don't you like XP?

You can change how it acts and appears using the classic option. But once you work with it for a while the new interface is great. I am running XP on many older PCs and it works great. You do have to download a few drivers for some PCs. I have my main PC dual boot between 98SE and XP. At first I had a few problems but I like how quick XP loads and it is very stable. With IE 6 that comes with XP I feel I have a new computer, it about twice as fast.

3. holtzmjh

holtzmjh

Would WinXP run ok on a Pentium III 450 mhz with 224 mb RAM? Or would it be better to just run Win2K?

4. Dan O

Dan O

That's plenty of resources for either. XP is the better faster product. XP support upgrading 98 and ME, I personally don't recommend it. Why carry over all the junk from one OS to another, a new environment? XP also offers compatibility modes to emulate older OSs, so more of your older applications will be able to run within it. I am certified for NT and working on my Windows 2000 certification, but I perfer XP.

5. Rutter

Rutter Thread Starter

OK thanx for that mate, but now i have a greater probalem, i installed windows 98 along side XP and then proceeded to format the hard drive, all went well up-until i tried to reintall windows 98, im at the dos prompt and the Laptop wont recognise the CD drive?! Any ideas fellas? PLEASE? :confused:

6. Dan O

Dan O

Boot the PC with a Windows 98 Startup diskette, it has CD-ROM support.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice