1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Harddrive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tnutall, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tnutall

tnutall Thread Starter

I am trying to format my HD. How do I get my system to boot to Dos to start-off? I am running Windows ME

2. brianF

brianF

You can use a win98 startup disk to boot to dos, just don't use the /s switch behind the format command if your going to reinstall winme

I'm sure there is another way but that's the only one I know of

If you need a win98 bootdisk you can download one here
    www.bootdisk.com

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

You need a Win98 boot disk. Easy way is to make one on a Win98 computer. You can also download one from:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

Too late again!

4. tnutall

tnutall Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

5. tnutall

tnutall Thread Starter

ok, I downloaded both bootdisk for 98 and ME and it still does not work. HELP! lol

6. brianF

brianF

make sure you bios boot option's are set to boot from a first, then c. No reason a win98 boot disk won't get you to the command prompt, then select the drive you want to format and format it.

7. Daizy

Daizy

Hi Tnutall,
    When you downloaded those bootdisks.....did you make sure to download them to your computer........then double click them and wait for the prompt to insert your floppy to be copied to?

Daizy

8. tnutall

tnutall Thread Starter

OK, format done. But for some reason the system will not run the software that came with it. (Gateway of course)
    run setup and install will not work. I also coppied software onto HD then tried to run.....no luck.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice