1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

format harddrive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nvjetv1, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nvjetv1

nvjetv1 Thread Starter

I want to clean an old computer's harddrive using DOS to format it with.Can someone tell me the steps to take to format a harddrive using DOS?

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to make a bootable disk from My Computer.....right click the A: drive with the diskette in the drive and select format. In the options select full and copy system files. When it's done open windoze explorer and navigate to the C:\windows\command folder and find the file format.com and copy it to the disk. Boot with the disk in the drive and when it comes up to the A: prompt type format C: /s

3. nvjetv1

nvjetv1 Thread Starter

the computer I am wanting to format has Windows 95,but I want to put Win 98 on it.If I format the way you said to, can I just put in the Windows 98 boot disk and the Win 98 CD?

4. brianF

brianF

It would be easier if you have access to a win98 computer to go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs,startup disk tab, put a blank floppy in the drive and create a startup disk.

After you have the disk, boot the win95 machine with the disk in the drive, from the menu choose with cdrom support. Have a cd in the drive, browse to it, the drive letter will be one higher than it was, so if it was D, it will now be E. Type dir and hit enter, make sure you can view the contents of the cdrom

If it works then do what rockn said about formatting the drive.

5. nvjetv1

nvjetv1 Thread Starter

Thanks guys,I do appreciate the help.
    Here's what I know about formatting with DOS;
    go to START then hit restart in DOS
    type in C:\
    C:\format
    hit Y for yes when it asks if you are sure you want to do this.
    Now's the tricky part,I forgot what else I'm supposed to do!I mean I know that there's a whole bunch of stuff that goes on,but I can't remember what I type in at the end of the format to get the computer to install the Windows floppy and the CD.
    Do I just hit restart and then put in the floppy?

6. brianF

brianF

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice