Format issue, then chkdsk issue please help:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

argy02

Ok so my parents pc was running super slow, like taking 10 mins to boot which it never use to, so i decided to format. All was going how it normally does when i fix computers and then it gets to 3% of formatting and suddenly jumps to 12 then gets to 100% really quickly and states format could not complete as the drive is corrupt, pick another drive.

So i restart try again same thing happens, ive tryed unplugging the cables etc but none of it works.

So i figure the drive must have something wrong, load the recovery console via the disk and trying do a chkdsk where i get the message
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems

Now im use to formatting computers but im confused at what i can do next, im currently trying a "quick format" to see if that works.

Any advice would be great, as i said the drive was working an hour ago with XP on it, not i obviously cant boot XP but cant do a clean format......

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to TSG!!

It sounds like the HDD has gone south. You could try to download the manufacturer's diagnostics from their Web site. Often there is a version you could run from either a floppy or bootable CD. Or, you could attach it as a second drive in another system and run a Windows version of the diags.

argy02

ok well this is weird........ ive done a quick format and its now installing XP, somebody explain to me why this is and tell me what on earth is going on pleaseeeeeeeeee

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check the size of the drive when you finish, if you can finish ...

argy02

will do mate, thanks for the welcome! im on the language part of setup so its going ok....

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I kinda suspect that you are not actually using the full capacity of your drive. Or, that part of it will still be unusable or corrupt.

argy02

well im there! back with xp installed all seems to be working, its an 80 gig drive and ive got 2.41 gig in use with 74.5 gb free

still not sure what has gone on here though....

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That is strange! If you are feeling adventurous, you can try a chkdsk again.

argy02

ok on doing the windows disk check, it done first 4 steps fine, got to step 5 which is checking unallocated disk space or unused disk space

got this error, all the other 4 steps were fine

STOP: c000021a unknown hard error

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I was afraid of something like that. I really think the drive is on it's way out. Try to run the manufacturer's diags.

argy02

its a samusng drive, any idea where i can get this from or what i need exactly? cheers for your help, looks like my parents gonna have to get a new harddrive before long! luckily all the photos they have are backed up:)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You don't have to replace the hard drive with the same brand and model and size.

Assuming it's an EIDE hard drive with the flat ribbon cable, you just need to replace it with the same type hard drive.

Assuming it's an older hard drive in the 20 GB - 100 GB size, you'll find it difficult or impossible to find one in a computer store and will have to find one on-line.

-------------------------------------------------------------

as above, any drive will do, however be VERY careful in selecting if you tempted to go > 500gb, specifically I would avoid the Seagate 7200 series drives, they are having ongoing firmware issues that cause the drive to autofellatio itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online