1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scottee, Nov 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottee

scottee Thread Starter

I am fed up with XP. All I want to do is reformat my hard drive and reinstall 98SE. I have a an IBM ThinkPad P2-300.
    I have tried:

1) Create MSDOS START UP DISK - result: ignored floppy and goes directly to XP.

2)hit F8 on start up - result: can not get to c: prompt

3)Tried 98SE BootDISK - Result:Ignored it

4)downloaded XP Bootdisk from MS - Result:Ignored it

Please help me get to the C: prompt, without XP so I can get rid of this putrid OS.

Thanks,
    scottee

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello scottee and welcome to TSG!

If all the discs are being ignored by the boot process then I believe the fault lies with the BIOS, not the discs. Can you enter the BIOS and ensure that the boot sequence is A: first, then C:?

~Jim

3. Casey820

Casey820

First, XP is a great operating system. It's just different. Some people aren't ready for change, and some hardware can't handle XP, but that doesn't make it bad. I love XP, and I run it on both my computers.

Second, if your hard drive is formatted with NTFS, you will never get to a C:\ prompt. You'll get an A:\ prompt, and you'll have to run FDISK to delete the NTFS partition, create a new partition, and format it for FAT32. Then you can get a C:\ prompt.

Before you can boot to a floppy, you need to follow pyritechips's advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/105302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice