1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format not supported in C: format terminated

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iamstuck, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

ok mah problem started when i went on to download games in the internet. Half way through downloading mah comp froze, so i had no choice but to restart. When i pressed the restart button, the hard drive sounded different it sounded clicky but really subtle. Then mah comp cant recognize mah ide drive, so that lead me to the decision of formating. i put on win98 and ME disk to get into prompt and i typed in a: and c: format c:, i did this and i got a message"Format not supported in C: Format Terminated". So i went to fdisk, i got a message of "no Fixed Disks Present". i know that mah comp cant find mah hard drive. Also on when the startup disk was loading it said that mah comp cant find FAT or FAT32. How can i fix this problem. i have home work to do in three days and i need mah 3d program to do sum rendering. is there a way i can fix this. i tried looking at other forums and the said to partion the disk, i cant because i cant go into windows and i cant partion the disk. Plz help im really stuck.
    thnx in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Does mah = my. Just wondering.

It kind of sounds like your hard drive died. Do you know what make and model it is. If it is a Maxtor, they have a utility that you can run too find out if it is broken or not.

When booting from a floppy you have to be in the a: to format c:
    a:> format c: /s
    But that probably doesn't matter if your computer can't see the hard drive.

When you go into your bios does the bios detect the hard drive?

3. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

yes mah=my

it doesnt detect in load up screen and i went into bios to put the ide master to "auto"
    but still when i restart it doesnt detect it. is sumthing wrong with mah hd, its maxtor 40gb

plz help.

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

Something else it could be is either a bad cable or a problem on the motherboard.

Is the hard drive connected to a PCI SCSI or UATA Controller Card? those could be causing problems as well.

Try connecting the drive cable to the secondary IDE controller and the CD-Rom to the Primary controller on the motherboard and test it that way.

Good Luck!

ST

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. mobo

mobo

You have to repartition before format .

7. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

how do i do that?

i try to do the cdrom boot thingy. and when i put cdrom boot sequence in 1st it still said "Boot cdrom not found"

am i screwed?

and if i have a 3 year warranty? can they fix it for free?

8. dai

dai

if you want to run fdisk you need a 98 floppy bootdisk .and follow the instructions in the earlier post from lwdsqashman.if you have a three year waranty they usually have phone support and a tech will walk you through it

9. A Hawk

A Hawk

Had the same prob a while back with a guys pc, he had downloaded a game as well. Go into bios and under the ide listing enter none, then set the boot sequence to cd as the first boot and you should be able to format with the xp cd. Once formatted go back into bios and set the ide to auto and then reboot once xp has loaded the set up files etc go into bios again and set the boot sequence to ide as first, and xp should then install. :) Hope this helps it worked for me. ;)

10. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

hi A hawk thnx for replying,

i will try and do what u said, ill let u know how it turns out.

11. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

still doesnt work, i have the WinXP pro upgrade cd. is this bootable? cause i put the cd on first boot sequence and still my comp cant find it. i put the cd in, it cant boot from cd and continues to boot up from a: disk. im really screwed i keep swtiching from my old computer just to see if what u guys said can help. i tried from putting the pri master to not installed still doesnt work.
    i am running out of ideas.
    can sum1 help plz. show me step by step.
    *Remember*
    -i cant go on xp.
    -i cant boot from cd
    -i cant format
    -i cant use fdisk to delete ntfs partition
    -i cant make my computer detect my hard drive.
    -i checked if the jumpers are loose they are ok.
    -i have the WinXP Pro upgrade cd.
    -my hd is Maxtor 40gb
    -i have a 1.8 ghz comp P4

can u guys help me how to fix mah comp with all these problems on the way.

Thnx to every1 who helps.

12. mobo

mobo

You didn't say whether you set a partition for the system to be put on or not . Did you ?

13. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

sorry for not mentioning i didn't put a partition i only have one drive and its 40 GB.

14. mobo

mobo

O.k then if you have a 98 startuo floppy insert it and at the a: prompt type fdisk . Then you'll want to view all if any partitions so select the proper entry and post back please.

15. lunar13

lunar13

i get the error "fixed disk not present" what do i do now?

crap i replied in my friends account. its still me iamstuck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice