Format/Partition a drive as NTFS on W95/98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jglong3

Hello,,,, :) :)

And THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)

I understand that W95/98 does not handle NTFS format.

Here is what I would like to do:

1. Current drive used by W95/98 system will remain the same (IDE/0/ as "C") and as FAT32.
  2. Connect a drive (IDE, SCSI, USB) to the W95/98 system.
  3. Format this drive as NTFS.

I have found drivers that can define the drive at boot time and an application that can find the drive and read(only) the drive if formatted as NTFS.

The question I have is the following:

Is there an application/utility that exists that can be loaded to a W95/98 disk that can be executed whose sole purpose is to format a drive as NTFS?​

That is, without using a NT/XP boot disc or delivery CDs for tools that will format the drive as NTFS.

Thanks for your time, advise, and help!!!! :) :)

Jerry

Rukee

Banned
I use DiscWizard by Seagate. You put it on two floppies then boot to them. I think that will do what you want, just don`t format the wrong drive!! ;)
Unless you mean you need to do it from the 98se hard drive while it`s running in windows 98, then this is not what you want, but one of the other two on that page might.

jglong3

Hello RUKEE!!!!! :) :)

WOW!!! THANKS for the quick reply.

I was hoping for some utility/application that could be loaded to a W95/98 disc drive and executed while W95/98 was running.

But, it really does not matter,,,If the disc requires reformatting/repartitioning then a boot time flopppy is OK with me.

I'll give it a try!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!! :) :) :)
Jerry

jglong3

Hello RUKEE,,,, :) :)

OK ,,,,, I see the site and your right about the other 2 selections,,,,,DISCWIZARD 2003 looks good, but are these only for Seagate drives????

Jerry

jglong3 said:
Hello,,,, :) :)

And THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)

I understand that W95/98 does not handle NTFS format.

Here is what I would like to do:

1. Current drive used by W95/98 system will remain the same (IDE/0/ as "C") and as FAT32.
  2. Connect a drive (IDE, SCSI, USB) to the W95/98 system.
  3. Format this drive as NTFS.

I have found drivers that can define the drive at boot time and an application that can find the drive and read(only) the drive if formatted as NTFS.

The question I have is the following:

Is there an application/utility that exists that can be loaded to a W95/98 disk that can be executed whose sole purpose is to format a drive as NTFS?​

That is, without using a NT/XP boot disc or delivery CDs for tools that will format the drive as NTFS.

Thanks for your time, advise, and help!!!! :) :)

Jerry
as far as i know the ntfs drive will not be readable by a fat32 system so why would you want to do it?

Rukee

Banned
the floppies have worked with all brands of hard drives I have used it with.
Never tryed the software based programs on that page, if you do try it, be sure to report back if it does what you needed it to.

jglong3

Hello Brite750,,,, :) :)

"I have found drivers that can define the drive at boot time and ,,,,,,

an application that can find the drive and
read(only) the drive if formatted as NTFS."

Well at least the application I have found says it can find and read the NTFS drive on a W95/98 system,,,,documentation also says it provides a GUI that "LOOKS AND FEELS" like the W95/98 display of MYCOMPUTER listing folders/directories and filenames that are found in the NTFS table.

And, that's all that is required of the NTFS drive on a W95/98 system. Writting the drive is not required.

To run this application what I need, since I do not have a NTFS system (XP, etc) for those NTFS format tools on the Boot CD or Deliverable CD, is a way to format the drive as NTFS,,,if possible,,,using a utility designed for that purpose.

Jerry

Rukee

Banned
when you format the drive in NTFS it will be completely emtey. You may be able to read it, but with nothing on it.... and if writing to the drive is not required, how will you get files on the NTFS drive in order to read from the win98 drive??

jglong3

Hello Rukee,,,,

Rukee said:
the floppies have worked with all brands of hard drives I have used it with.
Never tryed the software based programs on that page, if you do try it, be sure to report back if it does what you needed it to.
OK,,,I understand..... And, I will report back no matter what I finally use!!

I read the Seagate floopy part about the DiscWizard Starter Edition plus the "HOW TO USE THE DISCWIZARD STARTER EDITION" and those directions did not show a selection for NTFS. In this case the "HOW TO,,," part seems to be incomplete(????).

Now here is my question,,,,,

Based on your use of the floppy is there a selection to allow the format of the installed disc to be formatted as NTFS???​

THANKS again!!!! :) :)

Jerry

jglong3 said:

"I have found drivers that can define the drive at boot time and ,,,,,,

an application that can find the drive and
read(only) the drive if formatted as NTFS."

Well at least the application I have found says it can find and read the NTFS drive on a W95/98 system,,,,documentation also says it provides a GUI that "LOOKS AND FEELS" like the W95/98 display of MYCOMPUTER listing folders/directories and filenames that are found in the NTFS table.

And, that's all that is required of the NTFS drive on a W95/98 system. Writting the drive is not required.

To run this application what I need, since I do not have a NTFS system (XP, etc) for those NTFS format tools on the Boot CD or Deliverable CD, is a way to format the drive as NTFS,,,if possible,,,using a utility designed for that purpose.

Jerry
you lost me:confused: youre going to run an ntfs application from inside win98??? like Rukee says if you format the drive will be empty, sooooo how are you going to put anything on it to read with win98????

jglong3

Hello Rukee,,, :) :)

Rukee said:
when you format the drive in NTFS it will be completely emtey. You may be able to read it, but with nothing on it.... and if writing to the drive is not required, how will you get files on the NTFS drive in order to read from the win98 drive??

OK,,,the "READ ONLY" application is FREEWARE and in the beginning that's all I need,,,,once I get a feel that all is going to work, that same FREEWARE creator has a version that will do both I/O to that NTFS drive on W95/98. But, before I spend the $$ for that version I want to be able to prove to myself it is all going to work, plus the learning during this time will be helpful!!!!

As for the application(s) I found the following site:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

If I remember correctly there is one for DOS as well as W98.

Jerry

Rukee

Banned
:p
How do you know it`s going to work if the drive empty? how can it show you anything?? You can`t browse folders that don`t exist, it`s like reading a blank CD, how can you 'read' it if nothing is on it?

Rukee

Banned
From that site...
" Rather than implement code to read and write NTFS drives, NTFS for Windows 98 uses the NTFS and NTOSKRNL system files from a Windows NT/2000/XP configuration. "
I think that means that the NTFS drive must have Windows NT/2000/XP installed in order to use files from it. I dunno.

jglong3

brite750 said:
you lost me:confused: youre going to run an ntfs application from inside win98??? like Rukee says if you format the drive will be empty, sooooo how are you going to put anything on it to read with win98????

OK,,,I even lose and confuse myself every great once in a while,,,well almost everyday :) :) !!!!!

The last response to Rukee helped me to find my way!!!!

Sorry,,,,, :| :|

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online