1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format/Partition - Need quick answer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nwinchel, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

I apologize for not already knowing the answer to this or taking the time to find out.

I have a Gateway Pentium II 266 w/64 MB RAM and with a 6 gig hard drive that is currently partitioned into drives C, D and E. It's currently running WIN' 95.

I'd like to format the whole kit and caboodle, delete the partitions making one partition and install WIN '98 (plus other apps). I have the WIN '98 boot disk so formatting C:\ and installing WIN '98 would be easy enough but can someone enlighten me as to how I can make all three partitions into one? (I have no access to any special partitioning software. This will have to be done manually.)

Unfortunately, I'm supposed to have this PC up and running by this afternoon and I'm in meetings most of the time until then. Can someone help? :confused:

TIA.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

here's microsoft's take on it

basically just use the startup disk to enable the dos commands then run fdisk, which'll wipe out any exisiting data on the drive

you may need to delete the exisiting partitions - haven't done this in a while ;)

it's pretty straightforward

3. ETS

ETS

Yes, you will have to delete the existing partitions first. You must start by deleting the last logical partition in the extended partition first and work your way backwards to the primary partition. Then you can follow the steps outlined my Microsoft, referred to in the above post.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

thanks ETS
    it's been a while and didn't have the time to go out into dos and walk through the fdisk structure
    (and risk doing something reeeeeeeally foolish along the way :))

5. ETS

ETS

jbcalg,

You're welcome. It's easy to forget those little details if you don't do it every day.:)

6. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you. Like you, this is something I hadn't done in awhile so took my time (what little I had!) and got the job done. I'm setting up apps now.

I appreciate the help! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice