1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Legatus, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Legatus

Legatus Thread Starter

Hello guys,
    I'm having a format problem, I really don't know what it is.
    I got referred to this site and I really hope you guys can help me :)
    The following error occurs when I try to format my pc(it's translated in english, orginal message is posted below)

Setup cannot find any solid stations ( vaste schijfstations) (harddrives)

Make sure that the harddrives are enabled on the right way and that the harddrives have the correct hardware configuration. You may need to run a diagnostic/installation programma which is delivered by your hardware manufacturer.

Setup cannot continue. Press F3 to close the Setup.

Could you guys please help me out ?

Thanx in advance

Legatus
    [email protected]

orginal dutch error message:

Setup kan geen vaste schijfstations vinden.

Zorg ervoor dat de schijven zijn ingeschakeld op de juiste wijze op de computer zijn aangesloten en dat de hardwareconfiguratie voor de schijven correct is. U dient hiervoor mogelijk door een fabrikant geleverd diagnostisch of installatie programma uit te voeren.

Setup kan niet doorgaan. Druk F3 om de Setup af te sluiten

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

What kind of hard drives are these? If they SATA or SCSI drives, you more than likely will have to load the driver when setup starts (press F6 I believe). I am assuming that you are getting this error when your trying to install Windows?

What you might wanna try also is to see if the hard drives are even showing up in the BIOS. If they aren't showing up there, then windows is not going to see them either. If they don't show up in the BIOS, you could have a configuration problem (jumper settings, etc.)

It all depends on what kind of drives you are trying to format. If they are IDE, check your jumper settings, if they are SCSI or SATA, you more than likely need to load the driver for setup.

Matt

3. Legatus

Legatus Thread Starter

Yeh, im getting the error when I try to install windows.

Well I'm kinda n00b in the software thingie so I aint understunding what you are saying:( :
    my harddisk is called: Maxtor 6Y120m0
    and about the SATA part, there is a line which says: Sil 3112a SATA raid controller bios version 4.1.50

kindly regards,

Legatus

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

Ya your using a SATA drive. You will have to go to the manufacturer's website or use the disk that came with this controller (Sil 3112a SATA raid controller). If it is an onboard controller, youll need to go to the manufacturers site and download a driver for it. You'll have to put this on a floppy and press F6 when you run setup. It will prompt you to do so when it first comes up and loads drivers. You can then browse the floppy and load the driver from there. Its not the easiest in the world, but if you have the right driver, its not too tough either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!