1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Recover Issue. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dissension, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissension

Dissension Thread Starter

Wow what a mess I have created. OK So I wanted to re-format my hard drive on my laptop due to the fact that its just become extemely slow over the past few year. So I backed up everything I thought I needed to and re-formatted. OOPS!!!! I missed some huge things! I re-installed about 5-6 gigs of stuff onto the 60 gig harddrive before I realized it. So now I have tried 3 different programs to recover the old files. GetDataBack, EasyRecovery Pro, and I did a free scan with Data Recovery Pro. In all cases They retrieve about 8 gigs of what was almost a full harddrive. However the 8 gigs consist of many duplicate files they are all disorganized and I have to go through about 500 folders named simplistic things like DIR 1, DIR2, DIR 403 etc. In the end I only recovered about 3 of the 50+ files I was looking to get back. The most important bieng an outlook PST file. Anyways I just feel with all the people Ive read about having great success with these programs that I must be doing something wrong, or maybe there is a better program. I just dont get it. These programs claim they can get all this stuff back and other people do fine with them. Any recommendations?? Any help or assistance that anyone can offer is much appreciated. Thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's too late for that now, but formatting a hard drive just because your computer had slowed down was a drastic and unnecessary step to take.

Many computer users suffer a slowdown in performance over a period of time because of too many programs running in the background, a buildup of junk and temp files, a buildup of spyware and malware, too full a hard drive, not enough RAM, etc..

Next time you have this problem, slow down and take a deep breath and tell us what the problem is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice