1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format & Reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Graeme1, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Graeme1

Graeme1 Thread Starter

Hello All,

When I reinstall Windows 7 I would like to Format the disk also, should I choose Delete or Format in the Advanced Setting?

Thank you as always,

Best wishes
    Graeme

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Select Format.

Here is a good Windows 7 install guide that you can follow.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. Graeme1

Graeme1 Thread Starter

Thank you,
    The reason I wanted to re-install Windows & is that the PC is playing up and has all sorts of spyware on, I would like to reformat but not sure whether to use delete or format in the advanced settings

Thanks again

Graeme

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't provided a description of your computer or how you plan to reinstall Windows 7.

Does your computer have a built-in recovery/restore partition that allows you to revert it back to its original new condition?

Are you using a recovery/restore disc kit that came with it or that you created for it?

Are you using a standard original Windows 7 disc?

--------------------------------------------------------

5. Graeme1

Graeme1 Thread Starter

Windows 7 disk, I thought about booting it to the disk and when installing would format if needed, not sure about the partitions, thank you

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're not sure how to format the hard drive and do a reinstall of Windows 7, get someone knowledgeable to help you.

It can be an "all day" job to reinstall Windows 7 and get it completely up-to-date and get all devices working and get all desired programs installed and get it set up to your liking.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want to change the partitioning (e.g., increase the size; decrease the size and create another partition) then Delete. If you are going to keep the same partition then just format it.

8. Graeme1

Graeme1 Thread Starter

Thank you Terry,
    I can see what you mean, I haven't actually seen if it is partitioned or not yet, if it is do I select the one with Windows System (I think) on then Format that one and just leave the other? I'm OK from then on I think ,

Many thanks,

Best wishes
    Graeme

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. You can see now what the partitions are by looking in Disk Management (Example attached).

Attached Files:

10. Graeme1

Graeme1 Thread Starter

Ah thank you my friend, so in your example I would choose C:, click on it and then advanced settings Format? Then the fresh install would go on there?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep! :) But remember that those "drive letter" designations are pretty meaningless. Better to identify partitions by name or size.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice