1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Slave HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cris_Cr0ss, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss Thread Starter

I have a Slave Hard Drive its a ST36530A Segate I believe and I want to reformat it as if i had just purchased it from the store. But i keep getting this error when going to my computer right clicking on the drive and going to Format. Is what I'm Doing right if i want to go about DELETING EVERY LITTLE BIT OF DETAIL and making it like new. How do i Prevent this error.

Attached Files:

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

According to the Help files in XP (if you have XP), you should be using Control Panel>Admin Tools.

In your Help and Support (Start>Help and Support) do a search on the word format, it has a step by step there.

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I highly doubt that it was formatted in the store.
    If you want it like new, you need it zeroed out.

Download "killdisk" and save it to a floppy disc. http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm
    Open your computer's case and disconnect the main (Master) drive.
    Leave the Slave connected.
    Insert the "Killdisk" floppy and start the computer up.
    It will give you several different levels of removal.
    A simple LLF (Low Level Format) will write Zeros to the drive, leaving it as close to new as it can be. There are other more severe types of over-write but they are not necessary unless you are giving away/selling the drive. Then it is only needed if you think that they may try to retreive you data from it.
    Reconnect your Master drive after you are done.

Simply formatting in Windows does NOT delete the files. It just removes the pointers that tell windows were the data is stored. The data is still there and fairly easy to find. Most recovery programs can find the majority of it.

4. n2gun

n2gun

If your not using xp, boot with a floppy disk. Once booted type format d: and hit enter. If the drive is not your D drive substitute the drive letter it is for the d. Careful not to format c: which is your boot drive.

5. Cris_Cr0ss

drive is g thanks long haire n everyone. I am running xp pro.

Longhair their is nothin here that i would redeem need to recover but its a little complicated and i am a little lazy so i will stick with MBNs method easy and no hassle.

thanks for ur posts

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You can do what ever you want...........But that's not what you asked for.

7. Cris_Cr0ss

i asked for a format that does a clean thing as if i am buying/selling a new one.

8. Cris_Cr0ss

while on the toppic of reformating, i once was trying to back up my computer but then i decided some other time this was by using the back up method that uses like 30 disks. And well ever since i pressed cancel this one disk hasn't been able to be formated. Its a floppy btw. Any ideas on how to go along with this format if you i could post what it says.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Cris_Cr0ss...

If this drive had info on it before, and all you want to do is reformat it, then I've seen that error before...

Try turning off System Restore on that drive ( I think that is where you are getting the error )...

If you want to do it almost like fresh from the box, then killdisk, or the Segate diagnostics wil do that...

As far as the floppy will need to see the error...

10. Cris_Cr0ss

Attached Files:

11. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Formatted is not what you get from the store.............blank or all zeros is what you get when it is new. That is why a new drive has to be partitioned and formatted before use.

Be careful what you ask for...............You just might get it :rolleyes:

12. Cris_Cr0ss

o i never new that thanks for clearing it out longhair now if only you could help me with the problem above.

13. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Can you read or write anything new to the disk?

14. angel

angel

I didn't catch this in the posts but have you tried formatting from a command prompt or by booting with a boot disk?

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Angel, we are down to trying to format a floppy now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice