1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format Terminated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p51, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Hi guys!

I am trying to format a hard drive, and ran into an error that I have never seen before. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I did an fdisk, then proceeded with a format, like I have done many times. The format got to 3% then said Not Ready Format Terminated, and kicked me back to the dos prompt. I tried twice, with the same results. Any ideas? Is that a bad hard drive?

Thanks,

p51

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

You may want to try a different IDE cable and different power connection too. Maybe try hooking it up to the secondary IDE port to format the drive. Is the drive being detected correctly in the computers bios?

Other than that I would try a different hard drive, it sounds like it is bad.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to say, whenever I've seen a not-ready message from a hard disk, it's been a hardware issue. The HD is obviously the top suspect, but as mentioned, it could be the cable, P/S, or MB.

4. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I tried a different power from the power supply, and the problem was still there. A different ide cable made the problem worse. My guess is the current cable is ok, and I swapped it witha bad one. I am not positive though. I am currently trying to find a good machine with the same set up, that I can swap the hard drives, and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

5. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I have the original hard drive in another pc and it is almost done formatting. I guess maybe there is a problem with the mb or power supply, possible. Would somewhere like PCPitstop be able to tell me that kind of info, if I can get this thing up and going and connected to the internet?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

You might want to try the drive and the cable from the good machine in the bad computer. Did you try the hooking the drive up to the secondary IDE port to see if that made a difference?

7. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

;) Old sayings are "If it aint broke dont fix it" and "Dont look a gift horse in the mouth" and both apply here

8. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Lurker- no, I haven't tried hooking to the second ide port. I will try that too, and see what kind of luck I have. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice