1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Format then install XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcon76, Jan 27, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I know I can get some more proformance out of my machine and WinXp. So, now that I will be networking my two machines this week, I will have an easy way to back up everything and reistall XP. It is currently an upgrade from ME and seems like it could be better.

My question is: Is it best to format C: and install or will sellecting a clean install vs. upgrade when I run my XP cd do the same thing?

2. Jynx

Jynx

As a general rule, it is much cleaner to install XP on a clean drive, as opposed to upgrading the current OS, whatever it is. If you're willing, I would highly recommend installing from a cleaned, formatted drive.

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

DONT format your hard drive that is a last resort for problems that no one can help with
    doing a format is a waste of your time and a good way to lose all your hard collected data

a clean install of xp is reported to be better but my upgrade over millenium has left me with a problem
    it's the longest i've ever gone without re-installing windows
    xp seems pretty resilient

the best way to do a clean install is
    smartdrv
    deltree windows
    and just type setup from your cd drive prompt
    all this from a windows start up disk of course
    just as an aside
    you dont get an option for a start up disk with xp
    why

I repeat DONT format your hard drive especially with hard drives touching a 100 gig any idea how long that takes
    that was extremely bad advice for some one to give

4. Trboy13

Trboy13

If you do a clean install, it should(somewhere in the process) ask you if you want to format your hard drive. I think it has 4 options

change to ntfs
    change to fat 32
    Format to ntfs
    format to fat 32

Or somthing like that. but its a little ways into the install after the computer restarts and loads its xp setup program.

I formatted when I installed, but I set it up to dual boot(which might be a good option if you have a lot of free space). It works fine for me. It set everything up nice except for a couple of drivers.

I beleive formatting it in dos or with the win xp install will do basically the same thing. but with the xp install you can set your file system to ntfs. (I left mine fat32 because I wasn't sure if it would have a conflict with having one partition fat32 and the xp one ntfs.)

anyways, have fun:D

5. esdxc37

esdxc37

you can change to ntfs with partition magic once xp is installed with no loss of data and done on the fly very quickly
    and any partition can be ntfs or fat32 even fat and there is no problem

6. bcon76

Ok. Let me just make sure that we are all understanding each other here. I have come along way with windows and I know how installations go. Thank you for your opinions on formatting but that is not the main issue. Sorry if I was not clear. A format of my drive is not a problem, in fact if the answer to my next question is "no" then that is probably what I will do. All my data will be backed up on a network drive. That's what it's there for.

Let me restate my question from the original post.

When I insert the Windows XP pro cd into my cd rom drive it asks me what I want to do. I chose to install Windows. On the next screen I am prompted to do one of the following: Upgrade(recomended) or New Install(advanced). Is chosing "New Install" esentially the same thing as formating C: and then installing from a command prompt?

I am currently running XP pro as an upgrade but do not like the lag I am noticing. It is slower then ME and I know it should be faster. My system should be sufficient even though XP is a resource hog.

System:

durron 900
    448MB RAM
    32MB AGP ATI Rage Fury vid card
    Soundblaster PCI 128
    30GIG HDD
    1500k cable internet w/motorola 4100 surfboard
    56x CD-ROM

7. bcon76

Thanks trboy13. I tink that pretty much answers it. You must have gotten one in as I was typing my last post. Any other opinions welcome.

8. RonK

RonK

Choose the New install. Xp will format the drive and it does not take very long.

Couple other things to consider:
    If your backup puter is fat 32 then you can not access data from XP in the ntfs setup.
    The way I did it:

Used a Win 98 Startup disk and partitioned my #2 hard drive into 2 partitions.

Formated the partitions Fat 32 using the Win 98 Startup disk.

Booted with the XP cd and chose New install, Selected the Partiton for XP then selected Leave file system intact.

This gives me data access either way - XP to 98 and 98 to XP.

9. bcon76

Thanks for the info RonK but I am afraid I have to disagree with you on ntfs accessing a fat32 system. On a network the two machines don't care which file system the other is using. File system only matters if you have multiple partitions on you local HDD. If this were the case then huge corporations would not be able to fun NT along with several hundred or enven thousands of 95/98 machines.

Of course I could be just blowing it out my arse but I believe it is correct.

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

I have read the same thing...separate machines on a network see each other fine regardless of the file system

Also for what it's worth...I don't have first hand experience on an XP upgrade install ( I installed XP to a clean, second HD as a dual boot) but...everything I have read suggests that a clean install to a formatted HD is preferable whatever the OS.

buck

11. RonK

RonK

Thanks for the info Bcon - Just goes to show, you never stop learning.

12. $teve

$teve

incidently.......there is a program out there witch will let you access ntfs from a fat32 drive,i had the url for it a while back but lost it with a "FORMAT":rolleyes:
    so im looking for it again.
    anyone?

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

Saw this while looking for some other stuff...though I'd atleast post it...
    NTFS for WIN 98

buck

14. $teve

$teve

thats the one buck........thanx:D

15. PFM&GM

PFM&GM

Got a computer from a company upgrading their computers. It formats in fat. I want to change it to ntfs. I have no xp disks. When I go to disk management it shows
    Volum Layout Type File Sys. Statue Capacity
    C: Partition BAsic NTFS Healthy 19.13 GB
    BUt it formats in fats HELP

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice