format with DOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Drew R

i'm using Hirens bootcd and i've formatted with it before, a few hours ago a storm knocked out the power and my computer won't start up because something is missing/corrupt & i don't have the windows disc to repair

i need to format and install a different OS, but when i boot up with hirens bootcd and go to the C: drive then type "format c:" it gives me this error:

"Cannot format a network drive"

of all things i didn't think i would have trouble formatting the computer, hah. if anyone knows how i can format my computer, please let me know.

thank you very much

DoubleHelix

Banned
If the drive is using NTFS, you can't format it using DOS. You can format a hard drive through the operating system installation process.

Drew R

well i want to install ubuntu, and i don't have windows XP discs.

what now?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hiren's has illegally obtained software on their disks. You need to use your Windows cd. If you're trying to install a version of ubuntu, from my understanding that disk should be bootable.
Closing thread.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Ubuntu is indeed bootable, I've installed several versions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online