1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

format with DOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drew R, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew R

Drew R Thread Starter

i'm using Hirens bootcd and i've formatted with it before, a few hours ago a storm knocked out the power and my computer won't start up because something is missing/corrupt & i don't have the windows disc to repair

i need to format and install a different OS, but when i boot up with hirens bootcd and go to the C: drive then type "format c:" it gives me this error:

"Cannot format a network drive"

of all things i didn't think i would have trouble formatting the computer, hah. if anyone knows how i can format my computer, please let me know.

thank you very much

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the drive is using NTFS, you can't format it using DOS. You can format a hard drive through the operating system installation process.

3. Drew R

Drew R Thread Starter

well i want to install ubuntu, and i don't have windows XP discs.

what now?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hiren's has illegally obtained software on their disks. You need to use your Windows cd. If you're trying to install a version of ubuntu, from my understanding that disk should be bootable.
    Closing thread.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ubuntu is indeed bootable, I've installed several versions.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks John (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice