1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Format?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guahan, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

I have a MacBook Pro 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
    I have it dualbooted with Windows 7.
    I also have a Simpletech 300GB external hard drive.

Here is what happened...

In my W7, I turned on the external hard drive by a switch, and put files on it. To eject it, I turned the switch off.. not sure if that was smart, but I always do it, instead of going to Safely Remove Hardware process.

I restarted my computer, logged onto the Mac OS. I turned on the switch, and I get a long message that pops up and at the bottom, it says something along the lines of "You ejected the external hard drive wrong and you must log onto a windows computer and safely remove hardware" and "You can CONTINUE, but you will be at risk of losing data on the drive"

and under that, it says I can abort or continue...

I hit continue.... yes I know that's dumb, but I did it.

The drive worked fine in the Mac OS.

I then put more files on it and turned it off by the switch.

Then I restarted, logged onto W7, and turned the switch on, it then says my external hard drive has to be formatted, and I can't get access to it.

I switch it off, log into MAC OS, and I can access everything.

The problem is I can't get access to my external hard drive in W7, but I can access it in MAC OS... Help? Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Using the switch causes damage to the file system. Eventually, you could end up losing everything on the drive. There is a reason for the procedure to be set up as it is. Even power surges from the switch could cause problems in the absence of anything else, if the drive is online.

You'll need to move all your files to another location (you should always have them backed up, anyway, because drives fail all the time, and they develop problems such as you caused this time). Then, remove the volumes from the drive in Disk Management, create a new one, and format it.

It's also possible that some files on the drive became corrupted, but you'd need to test them one-by-one to find out.

3. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Do I still need to format the disk even though I can access it through my MAC OS? If I do have to format the disk still, what extension do I do it so where I can access the hard drive from both the mac and W7?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It needs to be FAT32

5. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Ignore the question I asked about what extension it needs to be, because I already had done it to NTFS and can could read/write from both OS's through some software. Back to my original question, do I still need to format it even though I can't access it through W7, but can through MAC?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Make sure you have a backup of whatever you want to save. Delete ALL partitions on the disk. Create a partition and format. Copy back whatever you backed up. Done.

FWIW external drives are just not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for several reasons;
    1 Extra interface of the enclosure. This can fail and the drive be just fine.
    2 Shock damage of you moving the drive around
    3 Heat. External type drives are not made for continuous duty [unless they have a cooling fan which almost all do not] They are made to switch ON and make a backup then switch OFF.

7. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Yeah, but still doesn't answer my question. Thanks..

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, of course you do not have to format it.

Oh unless you actually want to use with Windows, in which case yes you'd need to format it to fix it and make it usable again.

And as CRJDriver and Elvandil both mention in their posts, you need to copy off the data you want to keep, delete the partitions and then create a new partition and reformat it.

9. jamielogue

jamielogue

do u have the windows 7 on the external drive itself or on the mac? how much is used in the external drive?
    how big is the internal drive in the mac?

10. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Windows 7 is installed on the mac.
    On the external hard drive, there is about 50GB left.
    The internal drive in the mac is about 360GB.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice