1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formating 1.5Tbite Seagate Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felixc, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

I recently added a third Seagate 1.5 Tbite drive to my Dell XPS 720 running on Vista. The BIOS and system both recognise the drive correctly. When I right click on the drives bar in Disk Management and choose Simple Volume and quick format I get the message "could not complete format". If I choose "slow" format it will format up to 72% and then freeze. If I partition the drive to 1.0 Tbite that portion formats correctly and the drive functions well. If I then try to format the remaining 0.5 Tbite it again says cannot complete or it freezes at 12% respectively. Seagates Diagnostics say the drive is healthy as does Dells diagnostics. Seagate suggested the problem might be the motherboard or Vista. Dell says the motherboard is fine and the XPS should be able to handle 1.5 Tbites. Microsoft have provided a new Vista disk with all the most recent updates and everything else operates very well. They believe the problem is with Dell or Seagate. Any suggestions????

2. Sponsor

3. BG-0

BG-0

Only connect the new HDD, boot from Vista CD and format it with the format tool on the vista disk.

4. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it without success. When I boot from the Vista disk, it asks me for the hard drive drivers and I dont have such a disk. I couldnt download a driver from Seagates sit because they say no drivers are necessary because they are built in to the operating system. And of course my operating system is on drive C: which I disconnected. Any further ideas?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the largest drive supported by your BIOS and board? You might check BIOS update release notes to see if the issue has been addressed.

What board?

6. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

I dont know the name of the motherboard or how to access the BIOS release notes (I do know its the latest release) BUT Dell have taken remote control of my computer and they say it is capable of handling a 1.5 Tbite drive. The exact description of the computer on the invoice is XPS 720, CDCR, E6850 (3.0GHZ), DCT, 4MB, BL with 3GB DDR2, 800MHZ

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. In Disk Management, did you remove all the current volumes from the drive? If not, right-click and remove everything on the drive first. Then, right-click again and create the new partition(s) as you want them and try a quick NTFS format since the drive is new.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

For detailed information about your system:

PCWizard[​IMG]

The release notes I was referring to will accompany the update on the manufacturer's site, not on your machine.

8. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

Yes I did remove all previous volumes and Ive tried many new partitions. The maximum I can push it to is 1030000 i.e. 1005.86GB. If I try a partition larger than that or the full drive I get an I/O error or a format was not completed message in the case of doing a quick format or it just freezes at 72% if a regular format (not quick).
    I ran PCWizard as you suggested and it identifies a Dell 0P611C board.
    I checked Dells site for the latest info on the BIOS and can find nothing that says its limited below 1.5 Tbites. Interestingly when I enter BIOS it identifies the drive as 1.5 TB

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are using NTFS, right?

Try doing the format in Safe Mode.

Do you use any third-party disk utilities or defraggers?

10. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

Yes using NTFS
    Tried it in Safe Mode, same exact result; max 1005.86GB
    No third party utilities

11. Parkman

Parkman

Run the long seagate DST on the drive if you havent. I have multiple terabyte drives that routinely pass the short test and fail the long extended version of the test. I would retest it personally.NTFS supports up to 2G so none of that should matter.

12. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

OK I'll let it run overnight

13. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

Ran the Seagate long DST overnight (4.5 hours). Drive passed with no problems.

14. Parkman

Parkman

As long as you have time and are up to still trying stuff, use the Seatools to perform a Zero erase to the drive. This will reset every data bit to 0 which might help you to format later. Other then that I am stumped!

15. felixc

felixc Thread Starter

I ran the Zero Erase. Took almost seven hours. Said it completed it and the disk passed. Tried again to format with exactly the same results. Namely cant do a full format of 1.5TB but can partiton and format a maximum of 1030000; 1005.86GB. Interestingly Zero fill was one of the first suggestions I got from Seagate but after I told them I was able to format up to 1TB they withdrew the suggestion and said the fault must be with the motherboard or Vista, which of course Dell and Microsoft dont believe. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

16. enri

enri

I have the same problem and followed your same steps.

This is what I have learned so far:

The drive behaves normally when hooked as an external drive through an USB port.

The highest sector which can be accessed when the drive is connected internally is hex 7FFFFFF9 or decimal 2147483641 ( 2^31-1 ).

This means that the largest byte in the drive available to R/W is byte #1099511627775.

The drive has the latest version of its firmware ( SD1A ).
    A similar drive with firmware version SD17 behaves the same.

The SATA controllers in my computer are NVIDIA nForce with the latest version for its drivers (A03 9.90.0.2). A roll back to an older version did not help.

My BIOS has the latest version of its software ( A06 ) of its software.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773305