formating floppy disks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Danboy

Trying to copy files on a floppy disk(first time trying). Windows told me disk was not formated would I like to format now? Pushed yes, a few seconds later message appeared saying the size 1.44 did not compare with disk or that disk was damaged. Disks are brand new. Any suggestions?

You may have a bad batch of floppies. I would say return them. You can do a scandisk on a floppy too and see what that says. If your floppies are bad, there's no sense in trying to force the issue.

Danboy

Mosaic,

Thanks for your reply. Tried to scan but got message saying disk was not formatted so could not scan. Will return the disks and try some new ones.

Danboy

It could be you mistakenly bought 720KB floppies, try to alter the format to 720kb and see if it works, if it does you have the wrong size disks

Danboy

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. Tried both sizes 1.44 and 720. Niether one worked. The disks are Memorex. IBM formatted 2SHD and have 1.44 on them. Will take them back tommorow and get some new ones.

Danboy

To expand on brianf's logic. Have you checked your BIOS to see what the Floppy size is set at?

Danboy

Mosaic,

No I have not. Actually I do not know how to check my BIOS. I will do it if you can tell me how.

Thanks

Danboy

To get into the BIOS or CMOS or Setup it depends on your computer.
When you get in there, check what you have your floppy set to and change it if necessary. Save Changes and exit. Be very careful in there.

Here's a list of possibilities. Excerpted from: http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.htm#02
New Systems

New computers are commonly using one of the four keys to get into the computer setup

F1 during the boot process.
F2 during the boot process.
Esc during the boot process.
Del during the boot process.

Older Systems:

Ctrl + Alt + Esc during the boot process.
Ctrl + Alt + Ins during the boot process.
Ctrl + Alt + Enter during the boot process.
Ctrl + Alt + S during the boot up process.
Page up during the boot process.
Page down during the boot process.

You have to enter the BIOS early in the boot process before Windows is started. On my older computer, I pressed the Delete button as soon as the Starting Windows95 message appeared. I have a blue HP screen which comes up on this machine.As soon as I see that I press the key to enter the BIOS.

Danboy

Mosaic,

Got into my BIOS. Drive A said 1.44M 3.5 inch. Drive B none. Floppy 3 mode support-Disabled. Thought I should let you know before I change anything.

Thanks Danboy

Danboy

Mosaic

Just got back from Staples with some new disks. Tried again and got the same results. Thought you would want to know this.

Danboy

Be more specific about what you are doing. Are you sending files to the floppy from Windows Explorer?

Have you tried putting one of the blanks in the drive and right clicking your A drive in Windows Explorer. Select “Format” and see if it will format that way.

What kind of floppies are you buying? They should be PC Compatible and therefore should be pre formatted.

Danboy

Mosaic & slipe

The floppies I purchased are Imation. They also say 2HD IBM 1.44mb and do say formatted on them. What I am trying to do is copy my work records from the My Documents icon on my desktop to a floppie. Just tried the right click idea that slipe suggested and the format got almost finished and then the message appeared again. Tried to scan for virius with Norton and was informed the drive was locked by a utility. Dont know if that means anything or not. Thanks very much for your help.

Danboy

ME TOO!!! I have the exact same problem with my floppy drive. But I know exactly when it began. I tried to print a file that I created on my home PC at Kinko's via the floppy. But Kinko's only had the software I needed on a MAC, so I stuck the disk in the SuperDrive on the Kinko's machine to see if it would work. The MAC read the disk (sorta) fine. When I got home and tried to access the disk on my own PC, I began getting these same "formatting" and "wrong size disk" errors. I get the errors on ALL other disks as well; new disks, old disks, formatted, non-formatted, blank, full.

Have tried:
Uninstall floppy in Windows and let Windows find it
Physically remove drive and secure all cables, mounting screws
Check BIOS for irregularities
Run Norton DiskDoctor (unable to determine disk size)
Searching in Microsoft Tech Help on-line
Screaming/ Pulling hair/ Cursing

MAybe it is the drive or the floppy ribbon cable. I've had a computer with a bad floppy drive a few times. Will it read other disks?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online