1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formating harddrive from external case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by n0nickrick, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n0nickrick

n0nickrick Thread Starter

Hello;

I want to replace the old 40 gb harddrive in my desktop pc with a larger one. I am hoping there is a way I can format and partition a new PATA harddrive in my external harddrive case and set up the replacement hardrive with my original restore disk. Is this possible? I have windows xp pro operating system. My computer system is an HP DC5000. I know when I buy a new hardrive some formating is required to begin using it, but can all this be done via an external drive case? If so are there step by step instructions? Im a newbie but anxious to learn. Thanks for any help or advice. Oh I forgot to mention my computer only holds one hard drive.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. The drive needs to be in position. Windows will not install to an external, and it needs to be in the location where it will run to create the correct links and drive specifications.

You can "clone" the old drive to the new while the new is in the case and then put the new one in the machine before booting it.

If you are going to go back to factory settings, all you need to do is install the new drive and start the process with your restore disks (if the drive is one approved by the manufacturer as compatible--otherwise you may not be able to use the restore disks on a larger drive). That is one reason why a clone may be a better idea.

Formatting and partitioning are part of the recovery process and do not need to be done separately.

3. n0nickrick

Thanks Elvandil, that cleared things up for me quickly. It's why I love this forum, so much information and very helpful replies. I will look into cloning and see if I can find some references to it here. Again Elvandil thank you; I am very appreciative of your help :)

Rick

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Rick,
    If you purchase a Western Digital HD, you can get Acronis True Image WD Edition Free. I have been using this for Cloning now for several months and it is a snap to use:)

Good luck,
    Ron

5. n0nickrick

Hello CaptainRon.

Thanks for the useful heads up on Western Digital and True Image. This is just the kind of info I need, and I appreciate it. When I clone I plan on going with a Western Digital. I had an older emachines that had a Western Digital harddrive in it that went bad a few years ago, (cracked notherboard) but the harddrive was still viable. I purchased an external harddrive case and now I use it from there. I have yet to get any seagate to show up from an external case, so my preference is for Western Digital.

Im not looking for a huge harddrive to go in my current computer, my needs are small really but the hardrive that came with my computer (I purchased the computer second handed) is starting to make noises and I figured I'd best do something before its too late.

Again my deepest thanks to you CaptainRon and Elvandil for all your help; it is greatly appreciated :) Once I get the drive cloned and installed I'll let you know how it went.

Thank you again

Rick

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Free system imaging/backup software:

Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Comodo Time Machine
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

Some repeats here, but many cloning tools, too. Many here have had good luck with the simple, free version of XXXClone.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

Easeus Disk Copy
    O&O DiskImage Express
    FOG (a free cloning/imaging solution)
    Redo Backup & Recovery
    Terabyte CopyWipe (Can securely remove a drive's contents, or it can copy an old drive to a new one)
    Disk Wizard (reduced, free Acronis for WD drives)
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    Dr. Freeware boot CD (also has file recovery, Avast scanner, and partitioning tools)
    EASEUS Todo Backup (Partition and drive imaging)
    EASEUS Disk Copy (Partition and drive cloning)
    Farstone Driveclone Express
    Macrium Reflect
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
    Partimage
    Dubaron Diskimage
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Drive Image XML
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Commercial Apps:

EMC (Dantz) Retrospect
    Casper
    NTI Backup Now (Image Edition)
    XXClone Pro (One of the fastest incremental backups)
    JustBoot Disk Backuper
    ASIS Backup (Bootable disk image)
    Paragon Drive Backup
    DT Utilities PC Backup Pro (formerly, Migo PC Backup)
    Easy Image
    [email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

7. n0nickrick

Wow! I'm speechless Elvandil.

It would have taken me hours to research and find these programs. I cant say thank you enough for all the help. You and CaptainRon proove its not the number of replies that matters, but how useful they are, and both of you have been a major help.

Again all my thanks

Rick

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Don't worry. Among my 43000+ replies, I also have some useless ones, and some that are just wrong. :D

And some of those links may be dead. But you'll find enough.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice