1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formating partitioned drives

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bopdude, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bopdude

bopdude Thread Starter

hi to all, a while ago i partitioned my hard drive with partition magic 7, if i were to format my hard drive would the p.c. see my whole hard drive as "c" drive and format everything or would it recognise "c" & "d" as two seperate drives and only format what I have asked for Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. B3gbie

B3gbie

Windows should see them as two drives, but dont use the dos based tools (ed fdisk, as i dont know how it'd react), load in safe mode and select the individual drive and select format. Remember to back up first.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Boot to a bootable diskette with format.com on it and run a format C: /s and after that do a format D:

4. busterdog

busterdog

My h/d is partitioned into c & d and last night I formatted c and reinstalled windows with no effect ond, all my files were still there.

5. bacon

bacon

what operating system are you running Win2k, WinXp, Win98, or WinME? as Xp you have to either goto Adminstrative Tools - Computer manager- Disk management and from there format. What drive are you trying to format? if it is the drive with your OS and Sys files you will need to Either for WinME,98, and 95 boot into DOS with a bootdisk and use FDISK and FORMAT. if it is WinXP you will have to get into the bios setup(usually when the motherboard is loading the ram hit 'DELETE' until a screen pops up goto the 5th or 6th option and make your cdrom boot first then removable hardware then hard drive then networkand then put the winxp cd in etc. If it is the D: drive then you can use part magic or any other formatting tool it will not affect your C: drive but it will see it as 2partitions but 1 volume.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice