formating problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

doug686

I know I'm pretty dumb when it comes to operating systems and this is probably a dumb question but here I go...I've got windows 2000 professional on my system and I want to format my hard drive (I have no partitions) but I cannot seem to be able to get to dos at start up to do so. I've tried to boot from a boot disk and I setup bios to boot from a disk. It wouldn't work, (this is probably due to the fact that I made a boot disk from the Windows 2000 CD itself). I've tried to get the windows 2000 cd to format my hard drive nothing will work. Could I get some help, I'm sure its probably something simple but its frustrating me. I just want to format my hard drive...that's all.
thanks

What OS are you going to put on after you format?
If 2000:
If you boot with the Windows 2000 cd, you should have the option for a clean install which should then give you the option to choose which partition to install to (you have one) and then the option to format it.
Otherwise, I don't see why you could boot with a Windows 98 boot disk and run fdisk to delete the partition and then boot with the Windows 2000 cd to install (it can create the partition for you). (There's a small bit of doubt about fdisk on Windows 98 startup disk and NTFS partitions but I'm almost sure you can do it)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online