1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Formating the hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hitesh.h, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitesh.h

hitesh.h Thread Starter

Hey

From past 2 to 3 months my desktop computer is functioning really slow, and due my negligence of not installing a anti virus software which can protect my computer from virus. My computer is completely missed up and i wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall windows xp software which i tried for the first time but failed to do that so i wanted some help with this and if i can some written notes with how to do this i will be so thank full :D

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    Hi hitesh.h, Firstly what comp do you have, what discs do you have? You have the xp disc by the sound of it what about one for drivers ets.
    Also when you do format and reinstall you will LOSE all your documents and programs. Do you have disks for software you will have to reinstall and have you backed up and saved all the documents you want to keep.

You say you failed your first attempt? where did you get up to/what happened?

have you tried installing antivirus soft ware? there are quite a few good free ones available for download.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do you have an actual XP CD and its 25-digit product code? If it's an actual XP CD, is it SP1 or SP2?

When you attempted to reinstall the first time, how did the install fail? What exactly happened?

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!