Formating your harddrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cndy0924

What are the following steps in formating a harddrive. I have accidently deleted the wrong files on my other computer. I want to reformat the harddrive and start fresh. How is this done.

restart your computer in ms-dos mode. Type in the following command:

Format c:

Besure to have a windows boot disk so you can reload windows after you format.

first boot with your boot disk in your floppy. at the A: prompt type
format C:
When that is done reboot with the floppy and start the computer with cd rom support. At the A: prompt type E:
at the E: prompt type setup (ensure your cd is in the cd rom drive first)

Let us know if these instructions are not clear.

Good Luck

rugrat

Sometimes on bulletin boards in answer to cndy's question, I see the instructio to use Format C:/s
What is the 's' for and is it necessary?

thanks

D

dc

I'm not sure but, I believe the /s command is to make the drive bootable.
Don

the format c: /s command prewrites the system files to the harddrive. The format command can be done either way, if you don't use the /s the installation will write the system files to the drive.

You can omit the fdisk instructions as you don't want to repartition your drive.
insert the bootdisk and power on the machine. It should boot up to a boot
menu. If not, you’ll need to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to A,C

After it has booted to the bootmenu, select the option to "Start with CD Rom Support". Somewhere
on the screen at the very end, it tells you what drive letter it has temporarily assigned to the CDRom
drive. It will look something like this, e: MSCD001 or e: OEMSCD001. In that example, the CDRom
drive is e. Make a note of it. If you don't see that phrase on the screen then you didn't get CD Rom
support. Stop and do not go any further since you won't be able to install Windows from CD without
CDRom support.

Assuming you did get CDRom support, then at this point, once you've fdisked and formatted the
drive, there's no going back. All of the data and programs will be erased from the drive. At an a:
prompt key in the following,

fdisk

Leave the default set to "Y" for large disk support and press enter.

Now use the option to "Delete Partitions". Delete any and all you see listed. Now take the option to
"Create a Partition" and create a "Primary DOS" partition.

format c: /s

When it's done insert your Windows CD. Key in the following at the prompt and be sure to change
the drive letter, "e", if necessary, depending on the drive letter assigned to your CDRom drive. You
should have made note of it earlier.

e:\setup

Cndy0924

Thanks so much for such a quick reply from everyone. I will follow all instructions. Wish me luck !

Cndy

Rugrat - have same problem, but when I use format c: i get
invalid file drive?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sounds like you are typing format c: from the c:\ prompt instead of the a:\ prompt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online