1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

formating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaratos22, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zaratos22

Zaratos22 Thread Starter

ok so i want to format my comp and i saved all the media files i want to keep to a external hard drive but i cant find a format disk i have a dell inpsiron 6000 and i use windows xp multi media :( if any one has any helpfull info i would relay love it:D

~Zaratos22~

2. norton850

norton850

Your laptop might have come with a recovery section on the HD or a Recovery CD. What do you have for discs?

3. Zaratos22

Zaratos22 Thread Starter

i was stupid and seem to have lost my cds that came with it but i do have a burner and plenty of blank cd-w's

4. norton850

norton850

So everything is backed up and you just want to restore your system back to how it was when you first got it? I have an Inspiron 6000 and when I first got it there was a separate partition on the HD for this purpose. At the Dell logo screen you press the CTRL and F11 keys to access it. Now Dell had (has?) policy of either shipping the system with either the recovery partition or the CD. So I don't know if you have this or not. My HD crashed after a few months and Dell sent me another preloaded drive and all the discs. I'm embarrassed to say that I've not checked to see if that partition is on the replacement drive. My guess is yes.

5. Zaratos22

Zaratos22 Thread Starter

hey thanks ill have to try that and if it doesnt work i guess im s.o.l. and will have to see if i can get either a free one from dell or buy it and again thank you:D

6. Zaratos22

Zaratos22 Thread Starter

ok so i tryed to make an os dick but is says that i couldnt fiond any recordable devices but i have a blank cd in there so um yea what the hell do i do?
    :confused:

7. desertdragon

desertdragon

Before formatting your computer. Try to use MY DRIVERS (www.zhangduo.com) to back up all your drivers that was installed in the computer, save it on different partitions or in CD. After formatting your HD and installed the OS, MY DRIVERS will reinstall the drivers back to your computer.

8. norton850

norton850

As I think you know, don't format anything yet. What happen with Ctrl and F11?

9. Zaratos22

Zaratos22 Thread Starter

it worked my laptop is working better and i have all my media files and when i did ctrl &F11 it renewed all my services with norton is there a better antivirus software that is free or is it better if i spend some money for software

10. seekermeister

seekermeister

I like Avast or AVG, both of which have free versions. Anything is better than Norton.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice